Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ebay dreamers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 204>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

101 dB sensitivity and down to 40Hz? Sounds like a good design to me.

Well, the reason I said "nominal" performance is that they didn't specify the tolerance for that frequency range; it could have been -10dB for all I know.
I think the user who had them in the past reckoned they were good & loud but not spectacularly deep sounding, which might be consistent with -6 or -10 rather than -3dB for the range.

David.
Ahh, like a lot of specs these days, including some from JBL it seems that quoting frequency response specs to -10dB is becoming almost normal.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Ahh, like a lot of specs these days, including some from JBL it seems that quoting frequency response specs to -10dB is becoming almost normal.
Yes, and even then the quoted response often tends to be at 1W input - not really useful if the HF driver can't cope with its recommended power handling. So, we possibly have a typical quoted frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz which, in reality, if measured at full input power, actually becomes 100Hz - 10kHz @ -3dB but  if the actual response is measured becomes more like 80-12kHz+/- 6dB. This subject has been gone over so many times I have nightmares about it (OK, so the nightmares do include busty blondes as well, but the speakers are in there somewhere). A couple of companies - Danley & Tannoy - do use third party labs to measure their product's response etc but it frightens off the big boys for obvious reasons.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 6:36pm
what wrong with busty dark hair gal ???   LOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 8:11pm

£250 BIN?? I paid less than that for brand spanking new EP2500s. Mental! LOLLOL

funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 5:11pm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191290764486&ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:3160

Tannoy VS 15 BP, used, starting bid £450, or BIN £650. only a vague hint that's for a pair, no description, apart from copy of the Tannoy blurb, and the photo's are Tannoy publicity shots.
If a seller won't show photo's of the item for sale, or even offer a description.........Who would bid?

Edited by funkyparrot - 18 August 2014 at 5:12pm
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 5:32pm
£400 for a pair of crappy old Baker chassis? Even then they are not a matching pair but a Group 25 and a Stalwart 15! Wilmslow were selling the Group 25 for £13.00 in 1977Tongue.

"Can be compared in quality to Goodmans and Tannoy of the same era."

Of course they canLOL.

Edited by oldskool - 18 August 2014 at 5:38pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 5:41pm
They certainly can be compared to Goodmans and Tannoy. Nowhere near as good. They were frigging AWFUL!

Edited by funkyparrot - 18 August 2014 at 5:42pm
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2014 at 5:43pm
LOL.....
Billy Dawg.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 6:32pm
Just to prove Del Boy was really kosher and a technical whizz to boot here we have a complete numpty selling some crossovers from some JBL MR 822 cabs. You know the ones, with a 12 inch and a comp that cross over at 2 kHz. Not only are these parts in pretty poor nick to be honest but one of the boards is actually from an MR 825 cab, now they have a 15 inch with the same 2416 comp but they cross over at 1.5 kHz. I happen to have some 825s otherwise would not have given this lot a second glance.
Why oh why are these people allowed to carry on? I know, I know, I am a grumpy old git but for crying out loud!!Confused

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 9:35pm
Be seeing you.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 9:42pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 9:43pm
They have been on eBay for ages. I don't think they have the original drivers inside. Way too much money. I had a pair of 4788 TCB ten years ago and paid £400 for the pair complete with original drivers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 204>