Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ecler PAM switchmode amps any good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ecler PAM switchmode amps any good
    Posted: 28 April 2016 at 6:48pm
Hi all has anybody got any experience with the Ecler pam switch mode power amps how do they compare to other old school top end amps C-Audio Yorkville void mk1 inf series HH etc?
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 2:30pm
AFAIK the PAM series are linear
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 2:33pm
Yup,conventional power supply as far as i'm aware. Well all the ones i have seen are.
Good solid old amps,but getting quite old now.
Be seeing you.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 3:05pm
They still seem to command a reasonable price second hand would they have been in the same league as the old c-Audio SR range in terms of build quality sound quality and balls?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 4:36pm
The ecler pam 560E that I have just bought spares or repair states on the front switching power MOSFET amplifier is this different to switch mode power supply?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 4:54pm
Best way,open it up and post a photo?
Be seeing you.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 6:52pm
The 'switching mosfet' is a misnomer and a dubious marketing ploy. It simply means that they used mosfets in the output stage that were primarily designed for switching use rather than linear use. The amp has a standard transformer power supply and a linear output stage.
They're a nice quality amp though, at least as good as an SR, if you can get a clean one. (the ecler and the SR both suffer from corroded steel and flaking powder coating!!). Common faults to name two are failure of plated-through holes and rusting chassis causing the powder-coating to jam the fans.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

the ecler and the SR both suffer from corroded steel and flaking powder coating!!

+1

Yep, their chassis are terrible quality. The front panel/grill is somehow better coated but the rest is very poor. Ouch

Edited by M4trix - 29 April 2016 at 10:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 10:28pm
If racked and kept indoors in dry conditions should be ok it's in good condition the one I have got
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

If racked and kept indoors in dry conditions should be ok it's in good condition the one I have got

I actually wanted to suggest a flight case for such amps, especially for outdoors and rough handling.

Btw, take a look here. It's Leco's website (Romanian language) and shows your amp inside. Not much to see. A simple ol' skool amp. Smile

http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?t=6623

Edit: SMD parts are on the bottom side of the PCB.

Edited by M4trix - 29 April 2016 at 10:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by M4trix M4trix wrote:

Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

I actually wanted to suggest a flight case for such amps, especially for outdoors and rough handling.

Btw, take a look here. It's Leco's website (Romanian language) and shows your amp inside. Not much to see. A simple ol' skool amp. Smile

http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?t=6623

Edit: SMD parts are on the bottom side of the PCB.

M4trix on the source leg of the fets there is a small what almost looks like a choke of some sort when i replace the fets i have do i need to place those on the source legs of the new fets?
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 1:17pm
Yep, those are ferrite beads and they prevent possible oscillations. Place it back on the gate. The explanation is on the picture.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>