Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eminence ring radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eminence ring radiator
    Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:55am
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/N151M-8.pdf

Asking the esteemed members of this forum to share their experience and thoughts if any with regard to this product and ring radiators in general. The N 151 M boasts of a sensitivity of 111 DB. Can it actually deliver this? Am I correct in assuming that the compression driver on the VRX LA 932 which features 3 x 2408J Annular Ring Diaphragm employs the same technology as the N151M?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 7:33am
In all fairness, it looks half decent for an eminence hf driver, but the spec sheet is pretty much worthless because it doesnt specify what kind of wave guide was used for measurements. So we have no idea under which exact conditions the graph was obtained.

I havent looked at 1" drivers too much, but i had the impression fro. Other peoples statements that 1"ers would usually be engineered to provide betteroutput between 10-20k, as bigger diaphragms usually struggle in this department.

Anyone with more insight correct me if im wrong, but the response reminds me more of a 2" driver.

Another question is how much distortion it produces. But on paper it provides 126 - 131 dB SPL, so it might be half decent. Whats the price on these?
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 7:57am
Many thanks for your response Bob 4
The product is yet to arrive in India as we speak, but the expected price to the end customer including delivery charges should be in the region of 89 euros per piece.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 11:05am
Compared with Eminence's older PSD 2002 model this new driver looks like a real improvement. Over most of it's operating range it has 5-8 dB more sensitivity, and extended response up to 20 kHz, at which point it is still 103 dB sensitive, and thus 20 dB louder than the PSD2002!

Although it's lower power rating is only half of the PSD 2002, it will go louder over most of it's operating range, except for the 7 - 9 kHz range where the PSD 2002 has a bump in response.

Above 2 kHz this guy will smoke for example a B&C DE75.

Like I stated in my previous post, I'm not very well informed about 1" drivers in general. I have mostly used big 2" compression drivers, sometimes in conjunction with bullets.

Where it gets interesting is the behaviour of the driver when operated at rated power, how much distortion and power compression. Calculated, consistent peak spl between 1,5 and 10 kHz is around 130 dB. Shocked
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 11:58am
Looks like a bms driver .. Aspheticly speaking !!
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 12:43pm
Still the same ugly plastic diaphragm case, but at least they rounded off the magnets edges.

Looks much neater
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 12:58pm
They have ripped off BMS 4538. And they failed to make it sparkle. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

In all fairness, it looks half decent for an eminence hf driver, but the spec sheet is pretty much worthless because it doesnt specify what kind of wave guide was used for measurements. So we have no idea under which exact conditions the graph was obtained.

The footnotes suggest it's measured on an H290 horn, but I'm on a dinosaur of a browser at the day gig atm so can't check the rest of Emi's site for specs on that or whether their other 1" drivers are measured on the same horn.

FWIW,
David
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

The footnotes suggest it's measured on an H290 horn, but I'm on a dinosaur of a browser at the day gig atm so can't check the rest of Emi's site for specs on that or whether their other 1" drivers are measured on the same horn.

FWIW,
David

Funny, i have no idea why i missed that, was just skimming the footnotes, but didnt see that bit of info
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:14pm
That is a general info. Not specific to this driver. At least i see it like that.
I have measured the 4538 on the H290 horn and it does not look like that. It has way more sparkle.
Actually that is one of the best horns i have tried with BMS drivers. I just didnt liked the form format.
I needed it to be rotatable. So we designed our own.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

They have ripped off BMS 4538. And they failed to make it sparkle. 

Have you had the opportunity to hear this driver? I'd be interested to know what you base your conclusion on. I'm just reading the spec sheets while digesting Turkish food.... On paper the eminence is louder up to around 15 kHz. Above that the bms has one more bump making it louder.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:30pm
Actually BMS 4540nd is the one you need to compare with. Not the 4538. 
This Eminence might a very good driver. But it is a ripoff. Nothing more.
So i am biased here so dont listen to me :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>