Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faital Pro 4FE32 12V build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faital Pro 4FE32 12V build
    Posted: 10 April 2016 at 11:06am
Just ordering a pair of the Faital Pro's listed in the topic. I have designed  an enclosure of 5.7 litres and a tuning frequency of around 75Hz using a bass reflex design.

I was planning on using the Faitals as a full range driver and not bothering with a tweeter and crossover but am thinking that using them in a bass reflex design will cause cancellations in the higher frequencies meaning I should use a tweeter network.

What do you guys think? It's just for a bit of portable audio, doesn't have to sound absolutely mint.

Also getting one of the TA2024 amps. I was thinking of getting a SL 2.1Ah battery but not sure on charger/battery management/electronics etc! Will that be enough power for a few hours of music? It will mostly be used for site radio so probably won't be used at full power very often.

Thanks!
mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2016 at 6:13pm
You can test them with a simple cap on the tweeter to see if they are needed. I think they will sound fine without them by looking at the frequency response. 
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2016 at 6:19pm
OK, cheers
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by mstep77 mstep77 wrote:

Also getting one of the TA2024 amps. I was thinking of getting a SL 2.1Ah battery but not sure on charger/battery management/electronics etc! Will that be enough power for a few hours of music? It will mostly be used for site radio so probably won't be used at full power very often.

2.1Ah is a bit on the lightweight side really .... I'd go for the next size up TBH (or get 2 of the 2.1Ah) ..... although if your speakers are 8R the current draw will be a good deal less.

I'd recommend building in a voltmeter of some sort too - I like a small "digital" display wired via a momentary contact switch - as they use a bit more current than desirable to be on all the time.
Its good to know your battery voltage.

Your run-time is heavily dependant on music content. Also - a HP filter at around 70-80-80 can have a dramatic effect on run-time - but not so trivial to incorporate that.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 3:21pm

8L enclosure tuned to around 55hz i think so got a bit of extension.

Run off 7Ah SLA battery and Lepay LP-2024A+

4ohm Faital pro 4fe32

So on the whole I'm happy with the sound but I think i have made a fatal error in getting the 4ohm drivers???

Not sure this amp can cope with them when turned up a bit, just gets very distorted :-(

Does anyone have any suggestions as a upgrade which could cope with the 4ohm drivers?
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 3:22pm
Going to put a strap handle on the top and some corner pieces to protect it. Really fun build though compared to much larger/heavier stuff I have done in the past, and something you can use everydayish not just 3 times a year!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 4:19pm
The TA2024 chip does 15 watts into 4 ohms on 12v at 10% THD (ie, pretty severely clipping.) The clean power available is only 11 watts (for 0.1% THD). So the distortion you are hearing, is probably unavoidable - except by not turning it up too much ;) The chip is designed to work with a 4 ohm load so there should be no mismatch there.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 8:42am
A solution will be getting another amp or solder new components into the lepai, the Lepai is realy poorly made and clips and distort big time.
If you want a Ta2020 based chip, look for indeed or muse.
But i will recommend the maxamp20 from Accusafe, a realy good little amp. :)

mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 1:49pm
Cheers for the replies. I have done some more testing and after looking back at my Hornresp model it shows the driver has a lot of excursion below 50/60hz. So I have used an active x-over to filter out below this and this has greatly improved the power handling.

This was using a Behringer mains X-over so to make it portable still I need to get a Min DSP. They look like a lot of fun! (If a somewhat expensive solution). I thought about a high pass passive filter but it seems the components would cost quite a bit so I'm going to get the minidsp and enjoy the flexibility and possibility of future upgrades (sub to follow).

What do people think of the Minidsp? Any drawbacks? Also anyone else have any experience of the Maxamp20?

Cheers, matt
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 4:24pm
If all you're doing is filtering out the <60Hz frequencies you don't need any sort of special hardware.

Unless your source is the boggiest of bog standard mp3 players there'll be a basic multi-band EQ built in, and the lowest band is usually centered around 60Hz. If you're playing through anything like an Android phone or iPhone there will doubtless be a more precise free EQ app out there too.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 4:30pm
If all you're doing is filtering out the <60Hz frequencies you don't need any sort of special hardware.

Unless your source is the boggiest of bog standard mp3 players there'll be a basic multi-band EQ built in, and the lowest band is usually centered around 60Hz. If you're playing through anything like an Android phone or iPhone there will doubtless be a more precise free EQ app out there too.
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 9:30pm
Just ordered the mini DSP!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>