Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane 18XB 600W Advertised as 800W

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fane 18XB 600W Advertised as 800W
    Posted: 11 May 2009 at 12:31pm

This is the 18XB600W available for a number of years, which Blue Aran has now decided to advertise as an 18XB800W here  , even though no such driver is detailed on the Fane website. Confused

High power bass and sub bass driver

High quality 18" sub bass driver. 800w E.I.A. Continuous Power Rating (equivilent to 600w A.E.S., over 3200w Peak).
The Fane Colossus 18XB is a renowned sub bass driver, and has been used in many excellent bass cabinet for years. Fane is well known as a British manufacturer of speaker drivers, and has been used for years by many top cabinet brands. Fane has recently been acquired by Eminence Speakers Europe, who also own Precision Devices, the Fane brand is set to be relaunched this year, taking the best of Fane's products, and adding new designs and technology.

Sorry chaps, but is this the way the industry is going? Dead

Have seen this upgrade of power handling, just by editing of specs elsewhere.. The manufacturer's name escapes me for the moment. Wink
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Steak'n'ale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 12:59pm
Ah, yes I think we have read the same catalogue Levyte. Looks like they've moved to a new standard for their measurements. This company always did have a reputation for underrating drivers though. Maybe they've just decided that given that other manufacturers aren't so conservative they'd be shooting themselves in the foot continuing to sell to the AES standard?

I've seen 18XBs driven with much more than 600W and be fine for long periods though. Its a very nice sounding driver indeed and definitely more resilient than 600W AES would suggest.
Ay, Uncle Owen I'm off down't Tochie Station t'pick up some power converters
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Steak'n'ale Steak'n'ale wrote:

I've seen 18XBs driven with much more than 600W and be fine for long periods though. Its a very nice sounding driver indeed and definitely more resilient than 600W AES would suggest.

+1

I'm sure Fane could have easily upgraded this driver to handle 1kw, with slight tinkering, and still kept the musical sound, especially if B&C have been doing this with a 4" VC for years.Confused
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
snafu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 1:05pm
looking at an old flyer for the xb says it has been independantly tested at up to 900watts this is early 90s .I know what you mean though.You would hope that pro people would stick to the facts and leave all the hype to the car sound people..
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 2:15pm
Ive stuck a bridged PLX3402 into a pair of these for a few gigs with no problem. Obviously i didnt run into clip though
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:43pm
Is the xmax listed on the specs erring on the safe side too? In sims on a reflex box you can't get anywhere near 600W without exceeding it by quite a margin
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 2:10pm
hi.

so if i buy two fane 18xb and they are rated 800 watts does this mean they are the exact same driver as the ones that were rated 600 watt. ?

rus.
Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 2:13pm
Is there a way of finding out the power rating?

i have 2 old ones that say 600w and 2 brand new ones that dont mention the power rating.

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

ukdubwise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukdubwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

This is the 18XB600W available for a number of years, which Blue Aran has now decided to advertise as an 18XB800W here  , even though no such driver is detailed on the Fane website. Confused

High power bass and sub bass driver

High quality 18" sub bass driver. 800w E.I.A. Continuous Power Rating (equivilent to 600w A.E.S., over 3200w Peak).
The Fane Colossus 18XB is a renowned sub bass driver, and has been used in many excellent bass cabinet for years. Fane is well known as a British manufacturer of speaker drivers, and has been used for years by many top cabinet brands. Fane has recently been acquired by Eminence Speakers Europe, who also own Precision Devices, the Fane brand is set to be relaunched this year, taking the best of Fane's products, and adding new designs and technology.

Sorry chaps, but is this the way the industry is going? Dead

Have seen this upgrade of power handling, just by editing of specs elsewhere.. The manufacturer's name escapes me for the moment. Wink
I have these running in 2   18" superscoopers   
At the moment i run them on 8Ohm (450W) so can't test them on full power cause the amp can't handle it.
Is there a way to registrate the watts at the moment you play them on full power?
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 2:35pm
hi.

this is what it says on the driver.

when i got my xb's a few years ago Embarrassed this is what it says on the side of the box.

Edited by RUS - 17 September 2009 at 2:39pm
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Steak'n'ale Steak'n'ale wrote:

Ah, yes I think we have read the same catalogue Levyte. Looks like they've moved to a new standard for their measurements. This company always did have a reputation for underrating drivers though. Maybe they've just decided that given that other manufacturers aren't so conservative they'd be shooting themselves in the foot continuing to sell to the AES standard?

hi gethin.

steak n ale is spot on.

have a read of this.

rus. Smile
ukdubwise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukdubwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 3:44pm
Why only mention bluearan with this.
On the first goolge page you'll find several online shops who advertise this driver as "800W".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>