Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faulty driver diagnosis??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faulty driver diagnosis??
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:36pm
I've a BMS 18S430v2 (1200w 8ohm) that has stopped working.
It's one of two pairs I have in 218 reflex cabs.
Visually it's fine...tinsel leads are good, suspension is moving freely and there's no hint of a burnt smell.
I put a multimeter across the terminals and there's no continuity.
The cabs were driven (never into clip) off an SAE pcm20 3600w 4ohm a side, all in all less than 70 hours work done.
35hz hpf 85hz lpf. 4dbu limiter.
I'm still very new to all this so I'm trying to figure out if this is a faulty driver or if I broke it.
It's odd as the other three are fine and they've all been used together.
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:21pm
Sometimes you can get  a duff one that fails after a while,, the vc to cone joint can fail too, either way with no continuity it probably needs a  re cone, you could try testing between the tinsel connection and the speaker wire connector and moving the cone up and down whilst testing for continuity, if the fauklt is on the tinsel leads, it could be fixed.
Top banana
WILLZTHRILLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLZTHRILLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:27pm
Hi, check the continuity from each tinsel connector to the cone and the connection to the wire feeding the coil (you will have to gently scrape the glue stuff covering that connection)
you have to do this with each one and then if no fault apparent, check the continuity of the coil from where the tinsel leads attach. 
If no result then you will have to cut the cone cap out lift the cone as high as you can to see if there's any burn mark on the inside of the coil former.
No obvious problems then i'm afraid its a recone job just to find out what happened to the original
 Post Reply Post Reply