Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

finding xmax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: finding xmax
    Posted: 17 March 2012 at 9:35am
is it possible to get the xmax of a driver just by measuring how far the cone can be pushed in by hand? I have two RCL 10154HP 10 inch drivers (yes RCL not RCF) but these are old and i can't find any specs for them. The label on the back gives Fs=34Hz, Power=150W RMS, sensitivity=96db 1w1m.

I have got Vas and Qts and confirmed Fs using the method here http://www.readresearch.co.uk/loudspeaker_papers/measuring_ts.pdf Vas is 93 litres and Qts is 0.28.

I would like to try them in a B6 alignment reflex box but would need a figure for xmax in order to set the DCX limiter to avoid damaging the drivers. Is there any easy way to get an approx xmax?

Thanks in advance
Tom

You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 10:54am
You can't really get Xmax from physically moving the cone of a 'speaker, plus the frequency it occurs at for a given power input changes when it is in a cab.....

There is a method of measuring Xmax using the distortion of the 'speaker as this is one method used by AES and some companies to measure it.

Use a sinewave and look for the distortion to rise to 10%.

Now this appears complicated but with 10% distortion it's fairly easy to see on an oscilloscope; so if you can get hold of a half decent dual trace one and a low value resistor to put in series with your 'speaker to measure current; then you look at both the voltage and current waveforms and see where the distortion rises at each frequency you test it at.

Two things here, with the driver in it's cab you can find where excursion rises to set your High Pass filter and what your max power is to not exceed Xmax to set your limiter.

This is a pic of a 'scope displaying this, a bit more than 10% distortion perhaps but you should get the idea.....The current is the center waveform with the distortion and the larger sinewave is the Amplifier voltage output.

If you are interested in this method and have access to a 'scope and a sinewave signal generator, I can give you more detailed info on how to set up and run these tests.

Hope this assists
Mik

(Edit: correct spilling)

Edited by audiomik - 17 March 2012 at 10:59am
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
geez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 11:31am
Wow, didn't expect such a thorough answer. I can use a laptop/pc sinewave generator and I think there are a few PC based scopes around, but probably only single trace (using soundcard as input)

This is just experimental stuff really, trying to learn a bit about speaker design. The drivers are probably too cra99y to invest too much time/effort in, It would be cheaper to buy some "known" drivers to play with instead.

I took a "guess" at 5mm xmax and designed and built some 50Hz tuned reflex boxes for these drivers. With an appropriate HP filter they are thermally limited to 150W at any frequency so that's what I gave them, surprised at how loud 114db at 50Hz is in my living room, so loud that I think they will be more useful quieter and lower, hence the B6 plan.

As they are a cheap pressed steel chassis I thought they would benefit from DJK's PPSL design. I used Keeles AES paper to compliance scale them to the correct Q (0.299) for a B6 resulting in a 72 litre box tuned to 36Hz. The processing would be HP 36Hz, Q=2 and  Parametric 36Hz, +9db, Q=2. This gives output of about 110db at 36Hz with 5mm cone excursion and 130W input (2 drivers). Not comparable to the sort of stuff on here I know, but a good experiment and quite satisfying if it works at a cost of 16 quid for a sheet of MDF.

Would you say 5mm is a "reasonable guess" for a 10inch bass driver with a 2 inch voice coil, a 34Hz FS, 150W thermal rating, 0.28 Qts and 93L Vas?

Tom

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 12:33pm
Tom
with so many different drivers quoting different figures for similar specs - I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. However it certainly looks like you've done your research pretty thoroughly.
Low cost drivers in PPSL or isobaric loading can give some really impressive results as well.

As to PC based 'scopes, there are a number that are dual trace using L & R inputs so that won't be any real problem. The frequencies you will be looking at are fairly low - below 200Hz so wide bandwidth isn't an issue.
Various free software programs will do this.
A separate sinewave signal source is easy enough - single channel, even one of the CD's with a series of tones feeding your test Amplifier with short tracks of fixed frequencies run as a 'loop' - don't forget if you use this method to list the track numbers against the frequencies.
You'll need some external attenuators to not overload your soundcard input with an Amplifier output - see below.
To do the current sensing, a 0.1ohm 10 watt resistor used as a 'current shunt' will work OK, so you look at the voltage across it and multiply this voltage by 10 for the actual current in Amps.
Also you can then get an impedance curve from your measurements to compare with sim software results plus some idea of what is happening to the phase relationship between current and voltage into the 'speaker - Power Factor.

My recommendation is to use this test method with your low cost 'speakers so when (if) you get some expensive ones you will not harm them running the same tests.

Test setup pic:

(apology for poor quality - but a quick sketch for a simple diagram!)
The actual value of resistor R1 you'll need to find a bit by trial and error; so have given a 'starting value' which you simply add another of the same value in series until you can eventually run your test Amplifier into clip with no load without overloading your soundcard input.
Anyway, that's the 'easy' bit; interpreting your results is a bit more difficult but straightforward once you have run a few tests. Just look for a change in the current waveform shape which is the distortion.
It's directly related to the coil leaving the magnet gap, Xmax, which then changes it's impedance so this is what you see as the distortion in the current waveform on the 'scope/PC display.
PC software with more functions can show this better, for example using FFT analysis of the current waveform to see better when the distorton rises by looking at the increase in harmonic content.

Don't forget that excursion is very dependent on cab design and loading of cones, so even with 'known' types things will change.

Anyway, looks like you've an interesting project, hope this above assists
Mik

Edited by audiomik - 17 March 2012 at 12:43pm
geez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 1:32pm
Thanks for that audiomik, totally understand the diagram, R1/R2 potential divider to match amp output to soundcard input, series resistor for current measurment - all ohms law stuff.

I'm guessing below xmax the current trace should look the same as the voltage trace but lagging by 90 deg. As it approaches xmax the current trace should start to distort like in your scope picture in the earlier post. Not quite sure about guageing 10% distortion, would you say your example is showing about 50%-60%? Would I run this test with the driver "in the cab" or in free air?

PS You must be very dedicated to give such a detailed response, I'm totally impressed.

Tom

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 2:20pm
Tom
Yup, fairly basic Ohms law stuff as you say for getting the Voltage and current measurements into the soundcard - can be calibrated using a DMM if you really want to but the results we're looking for are relative.....

OK, the Current trace does look the same as the Voltage trace until distortion starts but it varies in Phase depending on Frequency above and below resonance, plus tends towards very low Phase difference at higher frequencies. You also get a drop in current to a minimum at resonance - for some types of cab you will get two minimums in current - notably Bass Reflex - which is an old method of testing for port tuning.....
Some actual results on this variously here in this thread:
http://forum.speakerplans.com/power-factors-for-speakers_topic52128_page1.html
for 'speakers not in boxes...... same principles apply but the box will affect the results as the cone is loaded in different ways. Also a somewhat different test setup.
This thread link also shows what phase differences to expect.

Now "guestimating" 10% distortion:
This is around the minimum which is easily visible on a sinewave so any errors won't be too far off hopefully. Increase your Amplifier output voltage a bit if you think you have reached this point and distortion rises dramatically. Be careful doing this for obvious reasons.

Didn't actually measure the distortion of the Current waveform in the 'scope image posted earlier as it was originally intended to demonstrate the need of squarewave testing for Amplifiers into resistive loads to best simulate real conditions. Anyway the 'speaker was well exceeding its XmaxBig smile

Do measurements for both loaded or unloaded drivers as the mood takes you! My tests are all unloaded as haven't the space here for various different boxes.
For loaded boxes they are useful in checking that you won't run into over-excursion so also useful for setting HP Filters/EQ, max input voltage (don't really like to refer to power as it needs impedance taken into account), etc.

As to being 'dedicated' - well these days doing things like this and other sorts of 'non-published' result tests are my hobby so keeps me sort of 'sane' - also interested at present with isobaric loading.
There is a thread somewhere on here about trying it with a pair of 21" drivers, also to try using one driver to 'load' the other to see what happens to currents in voice coils and perhaps simulate different cabs,  and a post on FSP about using this loading in a tapped horn.....
With loads of time on my hands, some of these 'off the wall' experiments can be fun - often just don't know what will happen till I try it Wink

Not sure my responses are that detailed though - haven't written up a full Research Paper for some years LOL
Mik
 Post Reply Post Reply