Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first attempt at 4th order bp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first attempt at 4th order bp
    Posted: 13 January 2017 at 10:22am
One of my pals wanted me to create a pair of active bass bins for him utilising some old Kicker comp 12" drivers he had sat in his garage. These things are from 1996 and he assured me they were "banging" back in the day. He doesn't drive anymore and hated the fact they were sitting there rotting away when he paid a lot of money for them back in the day. 

So I thought yea why not, anything is possible I guess. I've never designed and built a 4th order before, so i thought i'd give it a go considering these drivers have a low EBP. 

I ordered up a couple of amps from BK electronics and set off to get some Birch cut.

The box is HUGE, they will both fit in the the space provided but I am surprised at the size having never built a cab in this design before. I'm sure a compact sealed box would have done just fine... but hey you live and you learn, going to sort the ports out today seal it and run it up to see how it sounds!

If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room....
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 11:14am
Good work, always nice to see some wood getting cut. I had a similar driver once from my yout' days intended for a car, was an Audax 10" or 12" as I recall. It also did not show any promising behavior under simulation except for a 4th order box. I never built it in the end, think it got given away first.

Do you have any plans to measure it when done? You should get a fair bit more low end extension out of it than a compact sealed box design.
DJ-Versatile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 2:38pm
I agree! Often on here there's too much talking and not enough chopping haha, I don't have any plans to measure tbh, these are purely for my mates front room and i doubt i'll be making any more.

I had to have a play around with the ports as there was far too much noise which winISD didn't calculate accurately, but after cutting 3 holes and various lengths of pipe i've got it to a point where i'm content.

verdict: It's really loud, and really low! Very  If I was to run this in a system it would need mid bass cabs above it but overall i'm pretty happy

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2017 at 6:56pm
I know what you mean, I've been quite guilty of not enough chopping myself last couple of years. But then life gets busy, can't do it all. New workshop finished very soon, long list of projects to push through it.

Looks good, personally I'd do an impedance sweep because it takes literally 5 seconds with an el cheapo USB soundcard and one resistor. But if it sounds good, then it sounds good. All you need for a bit of HT and gaming rumble.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by DJ-Versatile DJ-Versatile wrote:

I agree! Often on here there's too much talking and not enough chopping haha, I don't have any plans to measure tbh, these are purely for my mates front room and i doubt i'll be making any more.

I had to have a play around with the ports as there was far too much noise which winISD didn't calculate accurately, but after cutting 3 holes and various lengths of pipe i've got it to a point where i'm content.

verdict: It's really loud, and really low! Very  If I was to run this in a system it would need mid bass cabs above it but overall i'm pretty happy

Looks good!
Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what WinISD gave for ports, and how far off you feel it was (or what you ended up being happy with) please?

I'm aware of some of the limitations with simple port models, but always keen to get peoples' real world experience to improve that understanding.

Thanks,
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2017 at 4:28pm
Hi David,
Sorry for the late reply! WinISD recommended tuning it to 45hz which I made manageable by having 3 68mm circular vents at 305mm long. Usually i'm quite happy with the results produced from this program, however that has been with reflex enclosures. 

When I turned up the box for the first time the ports chuffed a lot and not much volume or rumble. I tried re calculating and adjusting using the software but ended up fiddling with the ports till it sounded nice and the driver wasn't overly stressed. 

Going to build the second one this week and will let you know what they sound like together, this one on it's own is pretty damn low and loud LOL
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by DJ-Versatile DJ-Versatile wrote:

Hi David,
Sorry for the late reply!

No worries, thanks for the info.
Good luck with the second box
Cheers,
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 12:35pm
Thought i'd upload some pics of the finished boxes! I'm really impressed with the BK module, really brings the best out in these!

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 12:54pm
Pretty tidy - looks nice! But you know you secretly want to rebate the ports and amplifier module to be flush or recessed Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Versatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Pretty tidy - looks nice! But you know you secretly want to rebate the ports and amplifier module to be flush or recessed Tongue
LOL yes indeed but my router skills are currently equal to 0, going to get some more practice in with the next boxes and hope for the best
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 5:24pm
Router is a wonderful tool. Well worth watching some YouTube tutorials and making somw home made jigs.

Great work on your sub.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 6:31pm
like it, ive got to build two small 6th orders for a home system soon, I will post the builds, keep up the good work Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>