Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Build - not worthy of a project thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Build - not worthy of a project thread
    Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:26pm
So, after asking questions about ply, tools, inserts and anything else, today I finally dry assembled my first speaker cabinet, a Cubo 15 kick bin.
Its all within a mm of the plan, still have another and 2 Cubo 15s to build (kicks were more important to me as I still have the Dare DC600s for under these) so why not start with the harder build first LOL
Would like to say its been easy.... but that would be an utter bloody lie!!

Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:06pm
That looks okay to me.

Do you have a router? 
Next thing to do is flush trim the edges,
Then use an edge bit to round off the the edges.  
After that it's a case of:
Filling and sand and sand and sand and sand 
Then some carefully application of Tough Cab (or similar paint) and it will look as good as anything else on here. 

You might consider adding some handles.
And some batters around the mouth to give it a tough double thickness look. 

Keep it up.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:22pm
Yes, a router is one of my new toys, used it to cut out the speaker mounting :-) 
This is far from finished, just wanted to stick up my first cab after all my stupid questions.
Going to cut the wood for the next kick bin tomorrow and make a start on that, then glue them up and finish them off properly, tidying up the bits im not happy with and round off
Have tuff cab here (though its MIA currently!), need to do a test load with the speaker then find the best place for the handle in positions and fit neutrik speakons onto the back (will use the router to fit them flush so need to make a template)
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:44am
Why handles though on such a small cab? Should be an easy one man lift. The whole front is open, theres one giant handle. Flip it so the mouth points downwards, it will sit comfortably against your stomach -> weight is next to your body's center of balance, your arms are extended-> less muscle tension and fatigue. Remember to lift with your knees, not your back
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:57am
rebate your joints - makes everything slot together easy
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:19pm
carried many of these in my time and handles although not essential would be welcome!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:44pm
Thanks for the tips all Smile
Hadnt thought of flipping it onto the mouth to carry... and have some BlueAran handles arriving today.
The 2nd build hasnt gone as well as the first (SO glad I didnt get Birch now!) as I miss measured, miss cut and indeed chopped a board in half where I needed it full size, im blaming the sun for that one (working in the garden yesterday)
Rebating... will look into this when im more comfortable with the builds, as I would need to rework some of the measurements slightly, but was something I was thinking about last night.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:07pm
no stress on rebating for now. it's not that hard though. good work!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:31pm
So, run into a small problem, I made the driver hole slightly oversize (my mistake) which resulted in some interesting placement for the inserts, so ripped the baffle out, remade and now Im much happier Smile
Now... to sort the reinforcement for the rear door as... its hitting the driver Cry Im assuming I can fill the holes with glue / filler (or matchsticks)
2nd one has caused me more hassle than the 1st (though the first still needs it driver adding, so im sure I will also run into the rear door issue)
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 12:02pm
Thumbs Up
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Thanks for the tips all Smile
Hadnt thought of flipping it onto the mouth to carry... and have some BlueAran handles arriving today.
The 2nd build hasnt gone as well as the first (SO glad I didnt get Birch now!) as I miss measured, miss cut and indeed chopped a board in half where I needed it full size, im blaming the sun for that one (working in the garden yesterday)
Rebating... will look into this when im more comfortable with the builds, as I would need to rework some of the measurements slightly, but was something I was thinking about last night.

Now there's a thing, I've always done pre-builds/prototypes in MDF cos it's cheap and it don't matter so much if you need to alter stuff, so don't burn yourself to much get it right and then rebuild it in birch if you need to above all have fun doing it and enjoy the end result.Big smile
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 11:47am
This gluing lark is fun isnt it! LOL seriously running out of time as I need these for Saturday!
And a point to note for future builds, use the router on the sides before filling as cheap ply WILL split!
One 'done' (apart from wiring and paint) one still under glue.
Take my hat off to regular builders, its more complicated than I thought!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>