Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First rig build..Starting this weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First rig build..Starting this weekend
    Posted: 30 September 2014 at 4:20pm
Hey ive been Djing in ireland for about 6 or 7 years now and ive decided to build myself a soundsystem.I primarily play reggae.jungle & dnb do you think my system would be better with scoops or hogs?..My dads a carpenter with all the tools needed so he's gonna help me.my plan is to build the following

2 x mt121
4 x hd15
4 x superscoop or hog

Ive ordered some 13 layer scandinavian birch ply and im going to order drivers for my mt 121's in the next few days(unless people advise against them).Any recommendations? Ive been looking at B&C 12ndl76 for bottom & b&c me 60 & me 75 horns. Im not sure which 1"compression il use yet.

Im going to build my system from the top down and buy amps as i go along.I plan on buying a lms to get started but eventually want to go down the preamp route.any advise is welcome im completely new to this!!

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 6:27pm
howaya, steve here. i know we've met a few times over the years.

where are you based?
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 6:29pm
sounds like a decent overall plan to me :-]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 7:49pm
Good to see another Irish builder . 

If your based near the west and need any help let me know :) 
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 8:26pm
Reggae: Superscoop

Faster music: Hog

My 2p worth
It just is.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 9:06pm
Good to see an Irish build, whereabouts are you??
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
jonezy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 2:23pm
@Steve  Audio terrorist steve by any chance?

Im based in cork i run the Riseup nights and im part of the red social club & jungle boogie collectives.

I think im gonna build some scoops for now for my sub ive heard jungle through scoops and it sounds pretty good.I can always build some hogs at a later date.

Im gonna buy 2  B&C 12ndl76 today and im still undecided on horns.Looking at rcf h64 & 94,b&c me60 or celestion h1-9040p.Might just go with the celestion there cheap and the frequency minimum is 700hz which leaves loads of room for crossover between mid + top.

Any recomendation on handles for mt 121?..have any of you lot ever built any is there anything i should watch out for?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 2:39pm
yo. yep that's me. and i've built mt121s too. i put 6 handles on them.. not sure if they're all needed but i do all my stuff alone so always try to make everything as managable / liftable as possible. here's my mt121 thread from a few years ago... still haven't built the second pair heh. (link.

i'd say definitely don't skimp on the high driver / horn. 900hz or so up is such a huge amount of the overall sound of a system.

i'm often not happy with the sound of mine. but sometimes i am. i've never heard another pair of mt121, with any drivers. i don't have any other 1.4" drivers that i'd take down to 900hz or so, so i can't swap mine out to test. i've never felt like spending on another one just as an experiment to compare to what i have.

i have however decided that i want to play with making the next pair of mt121s three way, with an upper midrange horn too.

so.. looking forward very much to someone else over here getting some together, and possibly being able to play a bit more at comparing stuff!

yours is a good plan. if you ask around the south, there may well be a pile of hd15s not getting much use. sol in clare and some of his mates built a big heap of scoops and hd15s some years ago.. you never know.

i should try to find some more photos of my mt121s as they're finished.. to show the handles.
mucsavage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mucsavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 5:07pm
good on ya jonezy

Muc
mucsavage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mucsavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 5:57pm
Got any amp ideas yet man?
jonezy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 11:12am
Hey Muc ive been looking into it but im getting a bit confused.Ive been reading that the best way to run mt121's is to bi amp them.Does this mean i run my 2 mt's off 1 amp?how does the crossover work if wired like this.I was also thinking i could run the system 4 way and have an amp for each section.Im gonna buy a rack, lms & first amp as soon as i have the mt's built.Gonna have a lot of learning to do!!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 11:38am
Mt121s dont have passive crossovers so you will need and amp for the comp and an amp for the mid horn. So thats 2channels for one box (bi-amp)
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>