Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BandPass or Folden Horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RodDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BandPass or Folden Horn
    Posted: 03 June 2007 at 9:10pm

What type is this desing, folden horn or bandpass.
Can go lower if add more cabs, frecuency reponse is 50-250hz 

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 10:01pm
Simple folded horn, small or no compression chamber so not a bandpass.
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 10:02pm
Definately a folded horn design.

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:46pm
Either a folded horn or a bandpass horn (BPH/read FAQ's on speakerplans).

Wkr Johan
RodDJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RodDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 3:37am
I need to know if this design evolves well, for different rates like R&B, Rap, reageton and pop (madona, britney and more), I play on small party  from 100 to 400 persons.
How much cabs need for good kick
some good design for these events ? give me advices

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 9:13am
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Wkr Johan

i dont see how it can be a bandpass horn without a front chamber. 
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:18pm
I don't see how it doesn't have a front chamber.... I really don't, care to elaborate?

Best regards Johan
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 5:23pm

saul i believe if you look at the bottom left drawing on those plans and drew a line coming straight out of the dust cap, the volume of air in the horn to the right of this line would be front chamber, as well as the volume of air sitting 'in' the cone.

though i agree it's confusing as it looks like there's continuous expansion right from the start if you look at it that way.

i guess its the large rear chamber that suggests this design works using a bandpass effect.

rod you could also take a look at some of the selenium dual 15" horn designs, centauri's dual 15" design (search 'centauri phase plug' on google), or walt contour's 12" punisher design (speakerstore.nl) for inspiration.

you may find dual 15" or 18" reflex boxes are more versatile and easily transportable for what you do, easier to build too. i'd estimate you'd want a minimum of two of TDA audios cabinets per side.

Edited by darkmatter - 05 August 2009 at 5:29pm
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Wkr Johan

i dont see how it can be a bandpass horn without a front chamber. 

Yeah the air in the cone and the infront of the driver, "counts" as the front chamber
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 8:25pm
so...what is the minimum volume to obtain the bandpass effect?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 2:10pm
My completely unqualified opinion - it's open to interpretation rather than there being a defined minimum volume. In that sense there will always be some bandpass effect because there'll always be some form of front chamber. Even in a 'pure' phase plugged horn, there is a front chamber in between the cone and the phase plug. I'd use bandpass to describe a design where there's a deliberate and designed in negative 'expansion' or front chamber before the horn throat/positive expansion starts.
 Post Reply Post Reply