Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

phase plugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: phase plugs
    Posted: 29 August 2007 at 5:37pm

I remember banging on about phase plugs a short while ago, And the fact that we still make ours by hand. Crazy or not, I'm posting some pictures of the said items, made today prior to painting and fitting. This is to encourage other members to have a go. This is something to try when you are making woodflare mids.

URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL][

CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 5:53pm
something that good shouldnt be painted!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 6:12pm
Those arnt phase plugs,they are works of art Tony.
Be seeing you.
Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 6:14pm
Sexy bits of wood!

(hope that did not make me sound to weird) Tongue
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 6:16pm
many thanks tony
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

This is to encourage other members to have a go.
Work of art for true Tony. If only I understood more about them I'd have a go. 
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 7:57pm

By the way, these plugs are for the MX 350 and the RX 10's. Larger ones are made for the MX 450 and 600.
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 8:18pm
Just like all your work Tony, awesome Clap
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 8:20pm
Is there a specific formula for creating phase plugs for cabs?

e.g a cab thats X size needs a plug X size, the plug size changes when the cab gets bigger or smaller? Not that i have the expertise to build any, just curious
super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 8:54pm
Is there a critical distance that the plug has to be from the driver.
Is it xmas plus a couple of mm, or is it a bit more scientigic than that.

Very tempted at having a go, yours are truely inspireing.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
everdark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everdark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 9:18pm
Hakuna Matata!!!
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Rockin Rockin wrote:

Is there a specific formula for creating phase plugs for cabs?

e.g a cab thats X size needs a plug X size, the plug size changes when the cab gets bigger or smaller? Not that i have the expertise to build any, just curious

Graeme started with HORNRESP and did measurements with various phaseplugs. I think this is the best way to do it until theres affordable FEA.

The idea is to both reduce front chamber volume(because every cone has one when it has a baffle infront,and it acts as a low pass filter) and to reduce comb filtering across it(extreme case,is a compression driver).

Fig 5. Mesh, showing SPL values at 3kHz.Taking into account the comment in the previous paragraph on the modelling of the wider field, the results generally show good agreement between measured and computed in Figure 4. In generally the lobes in the sound field are captured.

There is only significant drift in the horizontal polar at 15kHz: this would probably benefit from a further refinement in the mesh. The present method represents a significant improvement over our initial acoustic models [32]. In general BERIM3 is a powerful tool for the simulation of the sound

field of a horn loudspeaker; returning results for a given problem and given frequency within a few

minutes at low and medium frequencies on a typical modern PC.

However, more elements are generally required at high frequencies to maintain the same level of

accuracy (as in low frequencies), as demonstrated by the particular example of figure 4. The greater

the number of elements, the greater the solution time. Added to this, in practice a scan across the

frequency range is required, typically hundreds or thousands of frequencies. Special algorithms are

often necessary to speed up the solution in these cases (eg [18] or using some form of parallelisation

Edited by tb_mike - 29 August 2007 at 10:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>