FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need plans for a good line array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need plans for a good line array
    Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:40am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

And now you can get "real" wave guides from P-Audio or some other manufacturers for arround 50 uer per lens and just stick in the box and you have it done.
sorry, i've seen the internal layout of itDead do you know anyone that likes them?

Not the old one. New one is ok. And Oberton, B&C, Beyma, BMS all makes wave guides ready to use.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:16am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

love it

Wish I had the time to further develop the HF and add the low mid section ......Confused
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Centauri Centauri wrote:

And maybe I should have done too ......

love it
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:08am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

And now you can get "real" wave guides from P-Audio or some other manufacturers for arround 50 uer per lens and just stick in the box and you have it done.
sorry, i've seen the internal layout of itDead do you know anyone that likes them?
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:33am
Originally posted by arpc arpc wrote:

i have no idea how to make it

I don't think half the commercial manufacturers know either !  LOL
Sibulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sibulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:20am
Originally posted by arpc arpc wrote:

Yo guys!Please give me some good plans hot should i make a Powerful Line Array system, i have no idea how to make it and thats why i want some help.So please give some tips, plans how to make.

probably best not to bother then.
http://soundcloud.com/judas-beast
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 9:43pm
Yeah we all know the theory very well and you dont have to remind us. But at the end it is all in the way you are using it. I have 4 boxes per side and do events for some 1500 or 2000 people with it and i dont have to throw the sound 40 meters. So in a environment that i am using my system it does not have to achieve that 3db attenuation per doubling the distance. So it is working for me.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
SebP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:01pm
No, the path lenght is very important for a line source. If you want to produce a front plane wave, the path lenght must be the same, especially at high frequencies (because of the short wavelength) Attenuation on a real line source is in theory 3 dB each time the distance double (6 dB for a spherical source). Ruban tweeters have this caracteritic, this is why some companies use them.

So call the video waveguide "line array" if you want, but it will not work as a line source at high frequencies.
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:30am
And maybe I should have done too ......

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:02am
SebP,

that is theoretically true. But having 2-3 cm of path length difference only maters if your ear is close to the source. having in mind that this is not how you use a line array box , which means you are at least 6-10 meters away from the source that imperfections smooths out with distance.

Aahhh... I should have patented that wave guide :-)

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:00am
I do not know dimensions of slots in video but if we take those are roughly ~25cm deep and ~19.5cm height it will give front difference (curvature) of 18-19mm which will satisfy full ideal up to ~4600Hz (nearfield conditions - 1/4wl max difference satisfied) and up to ~9200  (far field conditions -max 1/2wl diff. satisfied)

This is not perfect but for most PA situations if setup is correct this may work fine as linearray HF. (..considering that MF and LF unit distances and crossover points are set correctly in respect to "line array" rules/acoustic physics )

Better situation will be if he have used 3 HF slots in same space so every slot will be ~13cm height and than wavefront curvature will be ~8 mm which will satisfy fully up to ~11kHz (~22kHz theoretical in far field -not optimal) which is more than enough for any real world situation for such simple to make device.

More critical range with line arrays is MF drivers placement and setup (human vocal range .. where ears are far less forgiving at phase and time imperfections)
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
SebP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 7:53am
It's not simply marketing. If you want to produce a cylindrical wave (as opposite to spherical wave), the paths lenghts of the waves must be equal (as much as possible).

With the waveguide in the video, the path of the wave are shorter in the mid of the waveguide than the extrimities. And with this design, you have at least 3 cm path lenght difference, so it can't works as a line source no more higher than 3KHz.

Edited by SebP - 08 March 2010 at 8:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>