Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 18" horn, Invader Bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by nineleaves nineleaves wrote:

Originally posted by emperorfaith emperorfaith wrote:

Right back on page 3 you stated that you had a supersceeded design, is that what the plans on page 5 are or have you not released them yet? If not would you consider it as i am probably just about to have 8 built and could be a good guinea pig for you ;-)

Revising it beyond that would basically mean designing a whole new cab from the ground up, and thats a project for another day :)
nahhh! not really

use the same horn and put the slot as I recommended

How do people think these modifications would work with a Fane 1500????

I'm looking into using the Fanes, PD1850 or Void 1000 at the moment, and trying to work out which would be the better driver?

Fane Colossus 18XB - Cheap as chips, well nearly
Void = 50-75 quid cheaper than the 1850/1500
1850 = good track record
Fane 1500 = ????????

Luke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 7:01pm
I'll let you know the results once i've had a play with them

Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 12:29am
Just out of intrest what setting for lms do people rekon for these.... 
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
emperorfaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 2:18pm
Anyone got any updates??? New pictures of finished cabs???? Comparisons to other cabs???
Luke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by emperorfaith emperorfaith wrote:

Anyone got any updates??? New pictures of finished cabs???? Comparisons to other cabs???

Gimme till the end of the week, Im being slack haha
emperorfaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:50pm
Anyone tested these yet?
Luke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:08pm
Jake has, I've tested one as im still waiting to borrow a large air compressor to spray them all first. The one I tested sounded very musical, far more than an 1850 horn. I can say how low it went as i had it cut pretty high being stacked singularly. Was impressively loud when given About 1200watts though! And a bigger stack will obviously only mean better things! 
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:39pm
Thumbs Up
kula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 7:12pm
Hi can i get the cad plans for these please? 
Thanks

Further design mods to be posted soon (see latest posts for details)

Ive been feeling somewhat generous lately.. so heres a little pressie :)

Details for the bassbin:
Which shall now be known as the 18" Invader Bin..
For little other reason than the oddly familiar look of the horn entry (vader.. cough cough !).. and too many afternoons spent watching invader zim.

Range flat, is about 40hz upto a couple of hundred if you want to go that high, 600w power handling with an 18b600 driver from fane :) senstivity is quite respectable & functions quite well in non ideal loading  situations.

Can be used to its full potential in the 30hz region in stacks (this extends the low cutoff, loading & sesntivity), however a change to the fane 18-1000 driver is reccomended to allow for the rise in cone excursion (use a reduced 40 L rear chamber volume).

The design of this horn, allows you to experiment with the effects of changing the rear compliance volume. you can make it bigger and smaller than the 60'ish litre default (about 20-80l), allowing you to tune the sound a little to your preference, or for a change of driver. ultimately its probably in the sweet spot for this one; as too small will make it boom/honk & too large looses some of the bass response. effects of this are shown in the attached pdf.
if you try using another driver, it must have a very tough, relatively heavy cone (rigid & about 3mm thick min), and a reasonable xmax (7.2mm here); otherwise the cone will be ripped to shreads. ie an 18xb would probably trash itself.

the driver is loaded in a half moon configuration, was done originally as an experiment to see if it would cause problems. apparently not so; according to the level of testing i was doing at the time. it gives a pathlength advantage & seems to load the driver perfectly fine. but feel free to change to a central slot ..etc, if you insist.
all measurements & hornresp details where reverse engineered from one old bitmap i had sitting here. bins are in friends lockup & i couldnt be arsed to go all the way there with tapemeasure today. and the original files are burried somewhere else. so there maybe some minor discrepencys over details compared to the original design. but never the less, it should function and dimension pretty much the same.
pathlength in sims also includes some of the air which is still highly coupled to the cabinet; due to exit strategy.
also, although excursion creeps up at final cutoff, this isnt really much of an issue in reality, due to various factors (see plots of a labhorn) ..just apply a sensible high pass for best performance, think i had these on something between 30 & 38 at 12 db octave. ..cross at 90 or so for tops, but higher isnt a problem.

add handles, access hatches and wheels as you see fit.

Plot for one bin, in openspace (half), and in a corner, using multiple cabs has similar effect (1w/1m):

pdf for the driver:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/Fane_Colossus_18B600.pdf

haistily dimensioned plans:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/INVADER_18B600.pdf
(new with additonal dims)
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/18B600_D3.PDF

plots:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/INVADER_18B600_PLOT.pdf

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:01pm
3D plans will not be issued at this time, everything is provided above to make the cabinets using traditional woodworking methods & works perfectly fine to refer to if you need to make your own 3D models :)

On other little anecdotes, i finnnnnnally properly heard 4 of the more recent cerwin vega bins in use in a venue for an extended period - the obselete prior revision of the juniors i think. Gotta say, i was supprised & frankly dissapointed.. Cant confirm if they where certainly being run correctly, but they sounded horribly distorted & lacked depth. The sound was actually nausiating to be in the presence of - with several people actually complaining of it making them feel sick & leaving the dance floor.

In short, cerwin vega lately at least, seems to cater for dirty as opposed to clean sound ..will take time to hear some more when the opportunity arises.

Quite confident having had the chance to re-review the situation, that the invaders will happily out do them all round now if built properly.. more than justifys the little bit of extra height if considered for use in a "like for like" situation :)

Nice to hear some positive feedback coming thru on these already.

Edited by nineleaves - 10 May 2011 at 11:25pm
kula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:30pm
Would be handy if you could give me the cad files as what to get my one`s cut a cnc wood shop, would save a load of messing about, please give them to me will sign a contract so i can not make them for retail just for my own personal sound system. Thats all i want to do there a good cab. Safe
Originally posted by kula kula wrote:

Hi can i get the cad plans for these please? 
Thanks

Further design mods to be posted soon (see latest posts for details)

Ive been feeling somewhat generous lately.. so heres a little pressie :)

Details for the bassbin:
Which shall now be known as the 18" Invader Bin..
For little other reason than the oddly familiar look of the horn entry (vader.. cough cough !).. and too many afternoons spent watching invader zim.

Range flat, is about 40hz upto a couple of hundred if you want to go that high, 600w power handling with an 18b600 driver from fane :) senstivity is quite respectable & functions quite well in non ideal loading  situations.

Can be used to its full potential in the 30hz region in stacks (this extends the low cutoff, loading & sesntivity), however a change to the fane 18-1000 driver is reccomended to allow for the rise in cone excursion (use a reduced 40 L rear chamber volume).

The design of this horn, allows you to experiment with the effects of changing the rear compliance volume. you can make it bigger and smaller than the 60'ish litre default (about 20-80l), allowing you to tune the sound a little to your preference, or for a change of driver. ultimately its probably in the sweet spot for this one; as too small will make it boom/honk & too large looses some of the bass response. effects of this are shown in the attached pdf.
if you try using another driver, it must have a very tough, relatively heavy cone (rigid & about 3mm thick min), and a reasonable xmax (7.2mm here); otherwise the cone will be ripped to shreads. ie an 18xb would probably trash itself.

the driver is loaded in a half moon configuration, was done originally as an experiment to see if it would cause problems. apparently not so; according to the level of testing i was doing at the time. it gives a pathlength advantage & seems to load the driver perfectly fine. but feel free to change to a central slot ..etc, if you insist.
all measurements & hornresp details where reverse engineered from one old bitmap i had sitting here. bins are in friends lockup & i couldnt be arsed to go all the way there with tapemeasure today. and the original files are burried somewhere else. so there maybe some minor discrepencys over details compared to the original design. but never the less, it should function and dimension pretty much the same.
pathlength in sims also includes some of the air which is still highly coupled to the cabinet; due to exit strategy.
also, although excursion creeps up at final cutoff, this isnt really much of an issue in reality, due to various factors (see plots of a labhorn) ..just apply a sensible high pass for best performance, think i had these on something between 30 & 38 at 12 db octave. ..cross at 90 or so for tops, but higher isnt a problem.

add handles, access hatches and wheels as you see fit.

Plot for one bin, in openspace (half), and in a corner, using multiple cabs has similar effect (1w/1m):

pdf for the driver:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/Fane_Colossus_18B600.pdf

haistily dimensioned plans:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/INVADER_18B600.pdf
(new with additonal dims)
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/18B600_D3.PDF

plots:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/INVADER_18B600_PLOT.pdf

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:34pm
I may goto the trouble of providing a set of scale 2d dxf cutting sheets, when i have time. But sorry no 3d files will be released at this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 39>