Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Design of 2x18 Front Loaded Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2007 at 8:23pm
Jake, have you looked at moddeling it in hornresp or similar? There are some good references i can point you in the direction of if you would like to know how to calculate throat area for max sensitivity. Don't put yourself down and say 'it probably sucks', it doesn't matter, share the info, if it doesn't do quite what you expect, learn from it :)
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

Shame, I quite liked the look of it and allthough alot of people were saying it wouldnt work they seemed to disagree on why. It would have been nice to find out what it would have really sounded like. 

I have drawn plans of a 2x18 cab in a 45"x40"x22" box with a 9 foot horn length. I have worked out the lowest frequency it can reproduce singally and in groups (just using the horn lenth and mouth size) and it looks potentially good, but i know its all in THEORY and I know it probably sucks, because I havent calculated rear chamber or throat size yet, when i have done that i'll put the plans up and see what people think
If you check my sketch Jake with the blue and red arrows? thats all you need to know why
Clap
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 8:37am
Yea I saw it, fair point and im not saying I dont belive you, its just that people disagreed. It would be good to Find out for sure how it would sound.

Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

As the drivers are relatively small compared to the frequencies the reproduces would they not act as a single driver?

Wkr Johan

Originally posted by jsg mashed jsg mashed wrote:

Just apply delay to the driver with the red arrow, enough to compensate the path difference vs. the blue arrow. Maybe also use a lower low-pass freq on the red driver (eg red up to 100Hz, blue up to 180Hz)

Originally posted by tb_mike tb_mike wrote:

Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

one driver has a longer horn path than the other?

That design will be inneficient and peaky as the drivers will be out of phase over some of the response. It's like using two different types of cab.

Nope.The horn is being excited at two different points.I dont think it will be audible below 80hz.But I havent bothered calculating it,Im meant to be studying right nowLOLThere will be two different reflections from the start of the horn that will appear at the mouth at some high frequency probably out of passband.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 8:47am
Originally posted by tommysb tommysb wrote:

Jake, have you looked at moddeling it in hornresp or similar? There are some good references i can point you in the direction of if you would like to know how to calculate throat area for max sensitivity. Don't put yourself down and say 'it probably sucks', it doesn't matter, share the info, if it doesn't do quite what you expect, learn from it :)

Cheers TommyB, I'm going to get to grips with horn response first and work some more stuff out, then i'll work out the dimentions more acurately and see what people think.

(I might PM you for some help with a couple of questions when im using hornresp, if thats ok...?)
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 2:32pm
No problems, but i'm by no means an expert!
fixwheelmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixwheelmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 7:25am
A drawing should take no more than 30 minutes, need more info, are you look at side elevation which  is top, also what indications of any have you made for getting to spkr, at the back?

just finished yours, taking into 3d to render will send you PM later

Regards

FWM

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Exactly what i have told him but the guy is a stabborn one and need to learn the hard way.

OK, ok.

Had lots of people telling me to use just 1x driver, and enhance cab.
So here are sims and figures for 1x V18-1000, with 1000w signal input Wink

Anyone want to produce/autocad a dimensioned drawing, to see if above will fit in 48"Hx24"Wx42"D cab ?  Tongue

fixwheelmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixwheelmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 7:57am
how about these?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slurpdesignltd/

hope this helps, nice bin BTW
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 8:29am
1.  Do you realise this thread is 12 months old ???

2.  The sketch was just an idea - what was asked was if the horn defined in the Hornresp parameters would fit in the required size cabinet.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 8:40am
Doesn't time fly when your having fun
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Centauri Centauri wrote:

1.  Do you realise this thread is 12 months old ???

2.  The sketch was just an idea - what was asked was if the horn defined in the Hornresp parameters would fit in the required size cabinet.

Thanks C.

Unfortunately on SP, large 18" cabs that perform downto 40hz, are frowned upon, as opposed to smaller cabs that don't. Confused
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 5:20pm
You still playing with this?  Calculation shows that size box would be about 1370 litres and Hornresp says a system volume of  722.6 litres, so it should fit easily enough - the box could even end up smaller.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011