Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" scoops build advice needed please..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:08pm
do you think that could happen? i mainly do indoor gigs so i dont have to wheel the cabs over ruff ground.
bill-77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill-77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

on the left is the scoop i copied the dimensions from

Below, the new scoops minus the 'scoop'

static those are awesome old school stylee builds,made to perfection very impressed,and you only started last monday if i rerember correctly thats just shows how quick these can be made once you have made a few previously well done Clapand thanks for posting your project pictures for all off us to see and admire...static will you be painting yours or spraying them ?
WISDOM IS BETTER THEN SILVER AND GOLD!!
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:33pm
thanks for the positive comments.

to get them to the stage they are in the pic above took about 16 hours, next step is to cut holes for handles & build the scoop bit. i have made a template for the curved formers so it shoudlnt take long.

I'm painting them with black aldcrofts, i dont have the facility to spray the aldcrofts on.

more pics to come as the build comes to a finish.
bill-77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill-77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:40pm

thanks for the positive comments.

to get them to the stage they are in the pic above took about 16 hours, next step is to cut holes for handles & build the scoop bit. i have made a template for the curved formers so it shoudlnt take long.

I'm painting them with black aldcrofts, i dont have the facility to spray the aldcrofts on.

more pics to come as the build comes to a finish.
Its a shame they dont make them the old school way any more..16 hours is a decent time considering you only put in a couple hours a day well done static...i.ll be looking forward for the finished pictures keep the good work up Wink regards bill
WISDOM IS BETTER THEN SILVER AND GOLD!!
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 11:11pm
ok maybey you can mite cut with a jigsaw, howether i personaly couldnt and doubt some one who is not realy skilled could, and i certainly wouldnt recomend it.
@static age, nice looking work there!!! i love seeing build pics. it is just so nice to see a loudspeaker halfe built, thank you for sharing......

Edited by Markk James - 25 November 2007 at 11:13pm
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 9:37am

which triangle piece are you reffering to, do you mean the panel immediateley behind the driver?
I was referring to that panel, but then realized you & Bill are building standard scoops & not supers!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 10:41am
yep old skool style scoops Tekasis. if i didnt already own a pair like that then i would have built supers but i wanted matching cabs.

@Markk, thanks for the positive comments!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 5:25pm

yep old skool style scoops Tekasis. if i didnt already own a pair like that then i would have built supers but i wanted matching cabs.

@Markk, thanks for the positive comments!

But I hear supers are a lot more work than Fane or JBL, and not that much difference in sound, just sturdier and heavier due to bracing.

Static those look like JBL's but maybe bit wider etc (Bit like my mods), Which drivers have you heard in those, and what do they sound like?

Edited by levyte357 - 26 November 2007 at 5:27pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 5:51pm
they are very similar internally to the JBL scoop. the front chamber size is not much different to the super scooper.
my original pair are loaded with Fane 18XB's & they sound very good, loud & have a nice warm tone to the bass.

thats why i have built this new pair, i already have another pair of 18XB's to go in them.

i havent tried tham with any other drivers, i do have some 1000watt RCF (i cant remember the model) which might be worth a try.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 6:41pm

they are very similar internally to the JBL scoop. the front chamber size is not much different to the super scooper.

My mods should result in lower extension, at slight expense of throw.

How much would would you charge me matey, to do a rough prototype in chipboard?

Edited by levyte357 - 26 November 2007 at 6:42pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Markk James Markk James wrote:

ok maybey you can mite cut with a jigsaw, howether i personaly couldnt and doubt some one who is not realy skilled could, and i certainly wouldnt recomend it.

well, i wouldn't bother without a big pot of filler, unless i had...

a foot plate for the jigsaw to fit on the guide rail.. but then the circular saw is quicker.

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2007 at 10:58am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

My mods should result in lower extension, at slight expense of throw.

How much would would you charge me matey, to do a rough prototype in chipboard?

thats an interesting prospect, chip borad isnt the best stuff to work with but it is very cheap for a 8x4 sheet.

let me finish of the current scoops then i will get in touch via pm & we can arrange something mate.

edit: Levyte check ya PM's

Edited by Static Age - 27 November 2007 at 11:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>