Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 12TBX100 12" - for sub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C 12TBX100 12" - for sub?
    Posted: 10 January 2008 at 3:42pm
Has anyone tried designing anything around this stupidly expensive driver?

It looks like it could be monstrously loud in a punisher style cab. I tried modelling it (tweaked Atc up to 531 from 490) and it looks very loud, but response shows quite a strong 'smiley face' curve between the peaks at ~50 and ~100. I've got no idea what tweaking the various parameters will do, or what they mean in practice, so I didn't get very far.

Just wondering whether anyone's had a play? Seems like, as the driver's rated at 2000W, it could be used in a very nice compact (but loud) bass horn design.

I'm guessing the stated 9mm Xmax is in practice fairly similar to the SW12's quoted 11.5mm and shouldn't be a problem?

Maybe people reckon that when you're spending that much money, it's for the refined sound/low distortion, something that'd only really matter in a cab that plays higher?

http://www.bcspeakers.com/index.php?sez=1&categoria=1&id_descrizione=2&prodotto=6&id_descrizione_prod=1
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2008 at 5:28pm
you should try the tbx32. with the same power rating&sens. and a 10mm Xmax rather than the 9mm. and a 40 hz fs rather than the 45 it might be the better driver. not to mention its fairly cheeper. Id like to know how either of these drivers perform in the punisher cab because i can get my hands on them rather easily.
Thankss..
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 12:07am
Having looked into it a bit, if you want the maximum low extension then you need the Ciare.  Using drivers like the TBX100 you seem to get better efficiency and a flatter response.  Definitely a good option if you wanted to use subs below the Punishers and run them a little higher.
MattyTheRig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 1:40am
what do you qualify as subs ceharden? for example, for live work, a punisher isn't all that big, and you dont need much <45 so to up it *slightly* into the kick range may make it a particually useful little box? i've been contemplating knocking up some punishers for a while, and now my festool is alive and kicking i might just have me a play. it really is a wonderful piece of kit, gets me in the garage when its 3 degrees.... and is much cheaper than billie piper.
Sounds Good...
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 1:47am
Don't ask me to be specific like that!!!  In that case I meant something to do maybe 50-60Hz and down.

I've actually got some Punishers, not sure exactly why, seemed like a good idea at the time!  One of my mates will be buying them eventually.....

I would say the actual lower limit is more like 50Hz really but they're fine for live work.  Two per side loaded with the B&C would probably work quite well.

But the reason I don't use the Punishers is that I've built some compact 18" reflex boxes which play lower and higher, are easier to power, have a cleaner sound and just more sensible for the jobs I do (mainly tribute bands etc).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 2:50am
mmm.... i really like the idea of a smaller, more powerful and accurate driver being coupled to the air better, as we all know there are phase issues with most transducers, so to effectively have a infinitely small but infinitely powerful motor with a chock off big funnel of air attached to it  makes me feel in my head like its doing the job better... god only knows why. having my first b&c experience next week i hope, so i'll probably acquire some punishers too.... accidentally of course!....
Sounds Good...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 2:53am
plus i find, with some bands, if they 'cant see the speakers' then surely they're sh1t...
Sounds Good...
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 4:29am
Originally posted by MattyTheRig MattyTheRig wrote:

mmm.... i really like the idea of a smaller, more powerful and accurate driver being coupled to the air better, as we all know there are phase issues with most transducers, so to effectively have a infinitely small but infinitely powerful motor with a chock off big funnel of air attached to it  makes me feel in my head like its doing the job better... god only knows why. having my first b&c experience next week i hope, so i'll probably acquire some punishers too.... accidentally of course!....

B&C. which plans?
how about tring their drivers in a punisher for a change.
i think someone alwready tried the sd 12 and had good results
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 11:52am
Cheers for the advice everyone! Might look into the tbx32 option if I can work out a way to integrate subs below a punisher style bass horn.
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 3:13pm
Dark matter.
does that really make sence tho? another horn for lower bass than that of a punisher might be rather big. where would you leave the subs and start the punisher on your xover?
why not just go for a larger stack of puns. and load em with the reccomended driver. i was just talking about the TBX 32 because my friend is a dealer for b&c and i can get them fairly cheap

Edited by mylesound - 11 January 2008 at 3:14pm
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 5:52pm
nah you're right, ignore that comment mate. i'm new to this , but i suspected when i posted that the only thing you could maybe integrate under a punisher would be a massive sub bass horn, which completely destroys the point of owning punishers of course. i didn't know whether that was actually the case so i asked around and people more knowledgeable than me have confirmed itSmile
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 9:18pm
beyma lx60 is good, 9mm xmax, slightly more expensive than the ciare but to my ears sounded much more musical, admittedly in wicked ones rather than puinishers...
music is god
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>