Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird, 2 types of Fane Studio 8M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNy MoNtAnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird, 2 types of Fane Studio 8M
    Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:46am
I got ones looking like these today, with normal solder terminals and smaller dust cap,but still cast frame:

http://www.2dehands.be/fane-studio-8m-35086002.html?afdeling=audiovideo&c_audio=4&rubriek=audio

The Fane Studio 8M on the TS parameters pic shows it with push terminals and a much bigger dust cap.

Would the specs be exactly the same for mine:

Fane%20Studio%208M.jpg

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:51am
I'm guesing yours maybey an older model, have you tried emailing them?
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ToNy MoNtAnA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNy MoNtAnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Markk James Markk James wrote:

Will try that, thanks.

Also strangely one frame has a black finish on the edge[maybe was painted], one has a silver finish on the edge.

JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 11:22am
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/Subsoniks/FaneStudio8M.jpg

Looks like the smaller dust cap ones are an earlier version, this is scanned in from a catalogue circa 1990 ish.

JaKe
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ToNy MoNtAnA ToNy MoNtAnA wrote:

Originally posted by Markk James Markk James wrote:

Will try that, thanks.

Also strangely one frame has a black finish on the edge[maybe was painted], one has a silver finish on the edge.

lots of the older Fane drivers had the silver brushed aluminium finish on the front of the frame, this later changed to black. i used to have a load of scoops loaded with a mixture of silver & black frame XB's, there was no difference in the driver itself.

you still see pictures of rigs now with the old silver framed drivers in, probably been re coned countless times by now.
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 1:51pm
err i dont think it has anything to do with age
i think they were available in either finish.
i have 4 silver basketed 18 xb's that are dated 2004
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:37pm
i stand corrected then. i assumed that the silver ones were all older drivers as all of the ones i have owned or seen were.
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 3:14pm
Static Age your right as in the early collossus and Studio range were only available in brushed finish, or at least they were in lots of 8 or less as I asked the designer (Steve Hewlett) of said drivers for a black version and he said they only did them in silver, that was back in 1992.

JaKe

ArKs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 6:12pm

I heard the change from silver to black was due to their manual sanding/grinding machine not passing a health and safety inspection!

mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 6:16pm
got a recone kit for my XB 15 and the dustcap is HUGE compared to the old one. maybe something new?
ToNy MoNtAnA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNy MoNtAnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 9:34pm
Some very decent specs these drivers have then.

BL of 21 is high for an 8 inch.

101db SPL at 1w/1m is decent.

80hz-8khz, so they go pretty high and fairly low, but probably sound terrible after 5khz-6khz.

100w rms and 1.5 inch coil and small vented pole piece is average for pa 8 inch.

Cast frame though and huge 58 oz magnet big for an 8 inch.

QTS of 0.40, sounds like it's better for reflex cabs or sealed. Not horn mids.

10mm max excursion ain't much though.

I heard the xmax on them was 1.5mm too.

So sound like they are midrange only drivers. Can't see them doing much bass with their tiny xmax.

Hmmmm wonder what I could use them in?

B&C design Box 8 maybe... with the Eminence APT80 'bullet' style tweeters I got.

They would need some attenuation resistors for the tweeters though as those are 105db SPL @ 1W/1m.
Min xover point is 3.5khz, prob use that xover point.
5khz might sound harsh through the 8's if crossed over there.

Edited by ToNy MoNtAnA - 15 January 2008 at 9:39pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 2:42am
APT 80s sound a bit harsh at 3.5KHz,  i think a 5KHz xover was intended.   id go with a different compression driver if poss.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>