Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cerwin vega afterburners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aperrado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 5:10am
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

Heres one I drew up, with slight mods.. moved the access panel round to the top as I never liked the idea of removable front flare sections. I doubled up the top panel and access panel to brace it up as I can't put bracing between baffle and top panel. This makes the entire thing about a cm deeper and 2 longer, negligible but might get you an extra 0.5 Hz in a stack of 8...hehe

I'm thinking of building a couple for an install that doesn't need a lot of low end to see how they go, simple enough build and have noted that the various boxes with this kind of layout all seem to do the job nicely.. the Selenium, Some of the ASS designs etc.

it look very good
Im hard to learn but still asking
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 7:00am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Cerwin Vega Claim Frequency response down to 30hz on the Afterburner which is an absolute joke, so I certainly would not take any notice of their horn length claims.

I think you need to do your homework mate.

Cerwin Vega are the guy's who first produced 'C' type folded horn subs for the consumer market", and then everyone else copied them. So maybe you should take notice of their "horn lengths".LOL

"I think" The Vega website does say you need 6x cabs stacked to get 30hz.

However, 1x AB36/SL36 ply copy,  with decent driver, will easily get down to low 40's. Large chamber+High Xmax/High BL driver will assure this.

There are numerous copies of the plan on this site, and suprise, suprise, the horn length works out to 6ft.Clap

PM Three-Bee, He is the onsite Cerwin Vega guru, and will tell you everything else you need to know.

CV is just like any company where the marketing department have taken over - giving you a number '30hz' for the newbie spec hunters,with 'must use 6 or 8 bins' in small print.

30hz is a little optimistic even with 8 I would think.If the target market is who I think it is,I dont think people will be buying 8 at once to use in a cluster.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 8:46am
stick one of these in it and run, this driver is closest to the original CV drivers from days gone bye, it has the thick rubber surround like the original CV driver too

I heard this in a folded horn at a show and thought someone had turned on a wind turbine

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2008 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by tb_mike tb_mike wrote:

30hz is a little optimistic even with 8 I would think.If the target market is who I think it is,I dont think people will be buying 8 at once to use in a cluster.

With the standard driver, 6x would probably get you 30hz, but not at usefull SPL.

However, rebuild the cab using material other than the original kitchen towels,  brace it up Tony A.S.S stylee, and put in manly driver, you'll easily get 40hz with 2x cabs per stack.

Or maybe we should just "bore it out" to 6.5ft horn, increase horn mouth. and tune  throat chamber to PD1850/V18-1000.Shocked

As this cab is so much easier to build than WSX.

Could someone measure/indicate the indicate "actual" horn segments from plan?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 2:13am
I don't know where you guys are getting 5.5ft from, I just did a rough calc of the 1850 horn and I make it close to 4.8ft it maybe less
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 2:18am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

I don't know where you guys are getting 5.5ft from, I just did a rough calc of the 1850 horn and I make it close to 4.8ft it maybe less

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=hug&m=40882

High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Re: On apparent discrepancies between mouth size and reported response of bass horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Thread:  Display  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ] [ FAQ ]

Hi Peter,

Well, I don’t know about the respected bit, but I’ll try and explain where I’m coming from with my horn designs.

If you look at the 1850 horn on the speakerplans site you will see that the response does drop off like a rock below its cutoff point. The horn length is 1.59 meters or 62.59 inches. This equates to a full wavelength frequency of 216.77 Hz. So divide by 4 to get the quarter wavelength figure of 54.19 Hz. Again if you look at the plot you will see it fall sharply below 54 Hz, I also quote the cutoff frequency and state that the design is good down to 54 Hz. I also assume that at least 2 horns will be used in a stack and preferably 4. So I can’t see the problem or see why you could have a problem with this. If I quote that 2 horns have a cutoff of 30 Hz then I would be lying, but I don’t do this.

justamadman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 4:34pm
o.k guys enough banter, I'm going to have a have a crack later this week with 3 mates, I'll get the ply cut 1st and then do one each.

going to borrow 4 1850s out of a mates scoops and run all 4 bins of 2 RMX 2450s bridged.

just an experiment really, wanna see if moded ones will beat my mates originals, if they're any good we'll probably put them too use.

pics and reports to follow
in front of the bass bins baby
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 4:52pm
Nice...don't forget to double check those measurements before you cut your ply...don't want to be held responsible if sketchup is a bit off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 5:02pm
will do, not much of a problem though. ahhhhh the perks of having friends at lumber companies
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by justamadman justamadman wrote:

going to borrow 4 1850s out of a mates scoops and run all 4 bins of 2 RMX 2450s bridged.

just an experiment really, wanna see if moded ones will beat my mates originals, if they're any good we'll probably put them too use.

I would very strongly recommend you dont do that. RMX2450 does not like 4ohm bridge when dealing with prolonged sub heavy material. Will thermal eventually.

If you just want to test them, bridge a couple of ep2500/RMX2450 and run 1x cab on each amp. (8 ohm bridge). That should provide DSB. (Dirty Stinking Bass)

If you want to test all 4x, I would recommend a "Pro" big man amp, that can do "min", 1.6kwpc @ 4ohms.

Edited by levyte357 - 10 March 2008 at 7:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 10:03pm
how about an infi8 2 per channel???
tom smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2008 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by justamadman justamadman wrote:

o.k guys enough banter, I'm going to have a have a crack later this week with 3 mates, I'll get the ply cut 1st and then do one each.

pics and reports to follow

errrrrr, hope your paying for all this yourself because i'm not in a any position to contribute.

as for the 1850s they've got rid and put in voids............

why don't you ask Mr. lockdown if you can use his infinite 8???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>