Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" reflex design kick bin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rezsbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" reflex design kick bin?
    Posted: 05 March 2008 at 1:06pm
Anyone got any advice for on a simple single 15" reflex box for kick?

Have a JBLSRX700 system comprising of reflex subs (SRX728S's) and double 12" tops (SRX722's).

System sounds good however the subs only run up to 80Hz, at which point the 12" takes over up to 1.2Khz where it's crossed to the compression driver.

For a while I've been thinking that it might be good to put another box between the subs and the tops to do upper bass kick.  We regularly hire this rig for techno/electro type events so I think a dedicated upper bass section would be a big improvement.

As the other boxes are all reflex designs I'd like to keep it that way with this as well. 

Sound like a workable idea?  Anyone know of any suitable plans?

nice one,

rez.

Edited by rezsbc - 05 March 2008 at 1:08pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 1:27pm
Horns work best from frequeincies ranging over 80 Hertz than a reflex cabinet. You would be better of with the HD 15 than going the reflex route.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
rezsbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rezsbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 1:50pm
I'd rather not have to deal with time allignment issues etc. if possible.

Everyone else agree?  Reflex sub and reflex mids are best matched with horn-loaded upper bass?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:14pm
Maybe something like this, tuned higher:

http://www.speakerstore.nl/constructions/18sbr115/BR115draw.pdf

Two would stack pretty neatly on your double 18"s.

Or you could make dual 15s with a slot port in the middle for a fairly easy build, two 8ohm drivers in a cab = 4ohm load, less cabinets and less cables. Kind of depends how you wanna stack I guess.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by rezsbc rezsbc wrote:

Everyone else agree?  Reflex sub and reflex mids are best matched with horn-loaded upper bass?

Once you are using multiple cabinets playing different frequencies, you will always encounter time alignment issues no matter what design.

"Kick" is an attack that comes from the front of the driver. A reflex reinforces the rear of the driver whereas the horn reinforces the front of the speaker. So, I don't see how you are benefiting with a reflex as a "Kick Bin" unless you are looking for a whole bunch of cabinet gain from the box that will make it sound more sustained in the long run.

If that's what you are looking for, than just buy some Scoops.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by rezsbc rezsbc wrote:

Once you are using multiple cabinets playing different frequencies, you will always encounter time alignment issues no matter what design.

"Kick" is an attack that comes from the front of the driver. A reflex reinforces the rear of the driver whereas the horn reinforces the front of the speaker. So, I don't see how you are benefiting with a reflex as a "Kick Bin" unless you are looking for a whole bunch of cabinet gain from the box that will make it sound more sustained in the long run.

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 March 2008 at 2:35pm
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:36pm

If that is what you are looking for, than just buy some scoops.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 March 2008 at 2:38pm
Elliot Thompson
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:41pm
Direct radiating speakers are pants at fast transient bass, if you want a discernible kick it needs to be a horn
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

Direct radiating speakers are pants at fast transient bass, if you want a discernible kick it needs to be a horn

This has to be one of the most misleading things I have ever read on Speakerplans forum.

Tony
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

"Kick" is an attack that comes from the front of the driver.

This was pretty misleading too. IMO.

No kick from F218s or USBs then?

I wish people would give up on the whole "this comes from the front of the driver / this comes from the back of the driver" thing... it's a diaghram and the sound is pretty much the same either side (at the bass end anyway).

Edited by adambomb - 05 March 2008 at 3:55pm
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

This has to be one of the most misleading things I have ever read on Speakerplans forum.

Tony

i agree, the box sat infront of me dissagrees with steves statement. bear in mind i like music with kicks, techno, psytrance, hardtek, gabba etc... and am very familiar with martin 215 kick bins

its a double 12 reflex cab and kicks like a mule :)
http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13831
music is god
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2008 at 4:30pm
oh yea, if you want plans for the cab send me a pm
music is god
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>