Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double (6th order) horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double (6th order) horns
    Posted: 12 March 2008 at 11:31pm
Urm...

if the have a chamber and a horn on both sides of the driver, is there any way to get them to combine smoothly?

I've tried a few models in akabak and i'm getting 108db 1w1m! struggling to get it perfectly flat and low enough.

Confusing but possible?

jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 12:33am
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

Urm...

i'm getting 108db 1w1m!

ShockedShockedShocked

Edited by jethrocker - 13 March 2008 at 12:33am
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 1:47am
I first read of it in the dinsdale horn articles. Makes sense in theory.Tricky to use properly.Double your volume for 3dB.

adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 11:10am
I think Loonies Tasco Harwell bins are folded horns on both sides of the driver?!?

(I might be wrong tho).
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 12:46pm
Dave

what sort of speaker are you trying to get. fullrange speaker with one driver, bass+kick, or small mouthed sub with the ripples smoothed out?

there is something about this in Olson but I think it's quite brief. you can borrow my copy if you want a read. I think you want one long horn with a large chamber and throat and a shorter horn with a faster expansion rate and smaller throat. I guess you have got this far though Smile

Phil
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 1:46pm
been thinking about this over lunch and think I have possibly reached one interesting conclusion.

If you make each horn 1/4 wavelength of the lowest frequencies they reproduce so as not to waste volume and make the combined length an odd number of half wavelengths of the crossover frequency (a la Dinsdale) the first time this works is when the short one is 5 times shorter. the next time is 9 times and there aren't (m)any drivers that can go this high before mass roll-off starts.

20-100 from one side and then 100-400 would get good sub and kick from the same box. see what you can do davey!
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 2:05pm
wow, nice one snowflake. 20minutes on akabak tought me the same thing. The winning formula i found was having one long horn - say 2.2m. then annother shorter horn from the rear of the driver - say 70cm.

I guess that at the low end below the short horns cutoff, it is not supporting wave modes and is acting as an attenuator so the driver "sees" a high impedance or closed box essentially?

Further up the short horn combines with the long one to smooth out the ripples you would normally get due to a small horn mouth and extends the frequency response past the long horns high cutoff?

Anyways, i played about with the expansions, front volumes, lengths etc and you can eventually get a nice smooth response all the way from 40-200hz! i bet you could do better too giving it a bit more thought.

efficiency goes from 104db to a whopping 110db at the higher end.

SO your gaining increased bandwidth, flatter response and efficiency at the expense of a much bigger complicated cab and less low end (for a normal horn in the same size enclosure).

Is it worth it? Surely someone has done this before - please post links guys cos i'd love to read up on it.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 2:21pm
Only thing that wries me is that it would be too big and heavy.
Maybe if you made it modular. The lower one made with open driver chamber (like bassmax zero) and just put the other box on top of it).
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 2:29pm
What I have found with the boxes I built in which the rear chamber ports into the throat of a relatively short horn is that the horn starts to act as an extension to the port. This is the conclusion I have come to as the hole in the rear chamber should tune it in the 70Hz region but is actually tuning it to 30Hz according to impedance and acoustic measurements.
Keep us updated on how this is going.

JaKe
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 2:30pm
http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/Dinsdale_Horns_1.pdf

page 5

He recommends using a large throat chamber to provide and high f rolloff on the large horn allowing a shorted horn to effectively load the other side.

He also says that it is IDEAL to load both sides of the driver. A sealed rear chamber has a simmilar effect.

Edited by davey t - 13 March 2008 at 2:34pm
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 2:46pm

Loading a helmholtz resonator with a horn above the horn 1/4 wavelength may destroy the helmholtz effect because of the resistance of the horn damping the resonance.

JaKe
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 4:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>