Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hill Audio Speakers and amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hill Audio Speakers and amps
    Posted: 16 May 2008 at 10:19pm
There must have been thousands of Hill PA cabinets about in the seventies and eighties along with the DX series amps---What the hells happened to all of them because you never see any about at all, just the occasional newer model LC amps crop up on Ebay from time to time but you never see any of the big black boxes.
The 2x12 bass bin fitted with the rubber surround ATC long coil bass drivers really kicked a treat but it was a huge box for just 2x12" inside----I witnessed an AC-DC tour once with a massive Hill Audio system that filled two artics along with another two artics for the lighting and it will stick in my memory until I pop my clogs.
Anyone on here ever witnessed the "Malcolm Hill Experience" in the old days?

Please lets not talk about Powercubes---very embarrasing!!!!
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 10:21pm
Yes...powercubes....thats enough.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 12:25am
Robbo, Did you realize that the silver horns were my TR 570 MH horns. I used to take them to Hollingbourne myself, so I saw quite a lot of Malcolm and of course Rob Linfield.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 8:33am
For those who haven't seen them, these are Hill cabs (as used at Live Aid)

Edited by jazomir - 01 November 2009 at 7:01pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 9:32am
Tony---So it was you that kept interupting them designing their old modular desks---no wonder that they never got them quite right.
Yes I remember your 570 horns in silver on top of the old Hill stacks--they looked totally different to the black version--probably down to the colour.
Jazomir--You have a cracking old photo library--Unfortunately I lost all mine in 1985 due to a messy divorce---Came home one day to find a smoldering pile in the back garden--yes youve guessed it---she had burnt all my old photos, tour programmes, posters and unworn Tour T Shirts---They would be worth a fortune nowadays. It always saddens and frustrates me when I think back to some of the pics that I could post up on here---cheers--John.
Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Unfortunately I lost all mine in 1985 due to a messy divorce---Came home one day to find a smoldering pile in the back garden--yes youve guessed it---she had burnt all my old photos, tour programmes, posters and unworn Tour T Shirts---They would be worth a fortune nowadays.

Wow, I had the same kinda thing happen to all my tour shirts, pictures, and my beloved lighting plans. The shirts ended up at oxfam, and the rest got shredded. But the worst thing was all my rare soul records she took with her! (sorry for the slight thread hi-jack).

Back on topic, it make you wonder what happened to loads of those 70s cabs & amps. How many are just sitting in lock-ups getting mouldy, or ended up on the local dump???
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 10:55am
John,Tony,Jazomir.....was it the huge 2x12" Hill bass horn from around the late 70`s ?...it looked a a lot like a martin 215 mk11 or one of Tony`s 215 concert series,but was much bigger...im guessing it was around 5 foot deep laying down?  i allways thought it had 2x jbl2204 alnico drivers in,but maybe it was atc? the bass and punch output was amazing for just 2x 12inch drivers.
Another cabinet along the same lines was the Mega 2x12 bass horn,another lost gem.
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:13am
No--the 2x12" bins that I was on about are like the Full Range Live Aid boxes just chopped in half so you end up with the bottom two drivers in a forward facing cabinet which measured 4ft wide by 2ft 6" high by 2ft deep when laid on its side.
You are right about the 2x12 Mega bin Ian--They were loaded with the rubber surround ATC 12" as well and fired through a restricted slot similar to Martin Audio slot baffle loading---I must admit that they are probably my favourite bass cabinet of all time due to their size and performance--just a shame about the silly handles on the side. I am sure that David Lyth would have the plans of these old Mega boxes---wonder if he would pass them on if asked politely(hope Tony is watching this--hint hint)---it would be intereting to hear the 2x12s with a couple of todays high spec 12" inside---cheers--John. 
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 12:05pm
Opps..John you are absolutely correct,the cabinet i was first thinking of,was of course the "Eastmill" 2x12 bass horn.
Be seeing you.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 2:53pm
Robbo! we took a lorry load to Glasto in 1989

they were  fullrange box's atleast 4ft square....ring a bell?

they were puka
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 5:45pm
Yeah Mykey---They would be the same as the ones in Jazomirs pic above which was the boxes used for Live Aid at Wembley---they were about 4 ft square and 2 ft deep and I think they may have been called the M3 cabinet and the kick from the 3x12" ATC drivers on bass was superb.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 6:06pm
M3 rings a bell, and the 2ft deep
I'll have a look at that pic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>