Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 9:30pm
Here is a photo of the Froggy-designed "banana"console....1982.
Be seeing you.
DC6ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC6ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 4:05pm
Very nice - brought back lots of memories of the Frog.

Here's a little mix of his from our website:

DC
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 3:30pm
Many thanks for posting that mix DC,i see my old pal Simon Harris has done all the voice-overs on that as well!
Amazing to think Frog was mixing up stuff like that 30years ago,with just a supernova and 2 techics turntables and a heap of records...all totally analogue,not a computer or digital unit in sight!
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 8:53am
Very amusing photo i just found of Simon Harris behind Froggy's Matamp console at Ilford Palais,this is circa 1982,i know Simon isnt the tallest person ever,but it gives you an idea of the size of this console!

Be seeing you.
emadex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emadex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 10:46am
I booked Froggy for a gig around 1982/83. The booking was as a "big name" DJ and I didn't book his roadshow. I chatted to him about his sound system which I had seen many times and he surprised me by telling me that he wasn't generally running in stereo and that "mono gives me a much more off the wall sound". Can anyone comment on this as I get the impression from this forum that he did actually run in stereo? Thanks.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 11:39am
Hi,Welcome to the forum....
I had a chat with Froggy's long-time roadie Ollie on several occasions,he told me the system was configured in several ways,on the original Matamp console,they was a pan/joystick control,that allowed the sound to be swept though four channels,in a sort of mock quadraphonic mode,so standing on the dance floor,the sound would pass right round you,but Ollie said they had so many problems with it,they eventaully disconnected the joystick,and just ran it in 2 channel stereo mode....now wether it was in fact stereo or all running in mono most of the time i cant remember,but the times i heard it at the Royalty,i got the impression it was stereo.
Be seeing you.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 10:12pm
Yet again chaps, I'm stunned at the factual knowledge on here.  I feel like Ive come home!

Now, two questions for the knowledgable please:

1) - Clearly the 'typical system' (and I know it changed alot), was a monster using Matamp's, and ASS speaker rig, but who could give me an idea what the good old fashioned RMS output would have been?.  I was at various Caister weekenders and it was crystal clear, but as we know from other (Citronic) threads on here, most of us normal DJ's were going out with 200w-300w systems - and were quite happy!.  What was the Froggy RMS?, what was the split of bass/mid/top?.

2) - Froggy's lighting of choice appeared to be Pulsar, anybody know what the typical system comprised? - In one of the pics earlier in this thread I can see a Modulator and a slave pack in one rack plus what appears to be a Rainbow Strobe controller and rack mounted Zero 3000 in the other?.  Anybody actually know what the lighting rig comprised?, obviously there were a few par cans but despite being there, I can't remember the lighting and it's driving me bl**dy mad!

Call me nerdy, but these things really interest me.....
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 10:49pm
1) There was six stacks of the ASS concert system Greg,each stack would have been 2x 215 bass (gauss loaded) and driven from Studiomaster 800c's,so thats 800w rms there...mid was ASS 212,driven by RSD(one channel) so thats 400 w,top was driven from the Matamp,so that 120w,so if my maths are correct,thats 1320watts RMS per stack? x6? so around 7kw total would seem about right?

But it was seriously loud...at the time,it was the loudest "disco" rig i had ever heard.

2) Yep,parcans,and spotbanks,and some par36 pinspot banks as well...at the royalty the clubs' own lighting was used...mainly pinspots and helicoptor-mounted pinspots from the ceiling.
At the Ilford palais (being a Mecca ballroom) they had those twinkling Tivoli starlights in the ceiling,and Froggy used a few parcans running from Pulsar modulators to supplement these.

Edited by jbl_man - 19 April 2010 at 11:11am
Be seeing you.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 11:04am
Interesting - 7Kw would have been really heavyweight back then.  I was just too young to have experienced Froggy but as far as I see it, the landscape of the mid eighties was all down to the soul scene; warehouse parties, the rare groove explosion and everything that followed.  I remember people talking about Froggy at school like he was some kind of god!

S
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 9:01pm
Thanks jbl_man, that's the kind of power I imagined the rig to have - and of course that's good ol' RMS wattage!.

I always thought I was a bit of a local rebel in having a mobile rig running 440w, til I read about some serious metal/rock roadshows which were running power levels in the 4kw levels.  Then I experienced the Froggie rig.......I'm convinced it contributed a meaingful percentage of my deafness in one ear!

Grateful for the info - man those Studiomaster's could kick some ass! (no pun intended).

Any chance you'd know what crossover was used?

Edited by GregM - 20 April 2010 at 8:27pm
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
Original Roadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Roadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2010 at 6:16pm
Hi Emadex,the soundsystem was run in mono much of the time. As Steve said it did give a better and harder sound. Although there were times when he would switch between the two depending on the venue and track being played Smile
Original Roadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Roadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2010 at 6:40pm
Hi jbl man,the pan/joystick would play up most of the time so was not used often,till it was disconnected. The sound at the Royalty was in mono for 95% of the time,on occasions we would run in stereo but you would lose sound quality.It would sound like stereo because of the way Froggy would mix the tunes and the way he played with the gains.It was all about not just hearing the system he wanted people to feel it and as you all know they did !Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 30>