Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my 12v rig!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

'six 12.00SWs in reflex cabs'
might want to try punishers, they're more efficient. Then again, the SWs in reflexes can be very compact.

The specs and claims for those amp are a bit funny. Might want to measure them in a shop first before any purchases.

EDIT: if your group of 10 mates wanted to get a bigger portable rig, wouldn't a small genny be an idea?

the 6k of battery powered gear was a bit of a hypothetical idea.  i find the idea of battery power very interesting and i just wish it was more viable for bigger stuff.  the way li-po's are going, it aint gonna be long before we no longer need a national grid.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:33am
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

check this amp out...

this looks like car amps are finally boasting some useable figures.  i dread to think how much this thing costs, but imagine the portable rig you could build with this driving six 12.00sw's in reflex cabs for bass.

it weighs 40kgShocked
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:18am
I know the app note off by heart. YES, You do need a filter if your cables are more than a few inches long AND you need to meet EMC and EMI regulations, which i don't as i'm not selling this as a product.

I've tested it and it doesn't interfere with any of my equipment, crossover, mixer or ipod. I will be using screened cables for the tops. If its a problem i'l just more the amps next to the speakers and run signal/power to them instead.

six 12.00sw drivers in a reflex box with 3k of power will give around the same spl as my double 3015 with 500w. Any car amp over 500w is pointless in my books as you'l drain your batteries too fast or have to carry so many it no longer makes your portable soundsystem portable.
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:29pm
Does the mid sound honky? It looks suspiciously similar to screeching megaphones,or am I judging a book by its cover!

Reminds me of this
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/sop/

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:35pm
Hi mike!

i've used a horn like that on a small boat, an old Adastra or something like that (tiny fishing boat in Canada), and it did sound a bit funny so I bunged it up with some foam lying around. Doesn't have as high SPL, but sounded much nicer, almost like a DR.

That's all I can say.Smile
Away on extended leave.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Hi mike!

i've used a horn like that on a small boat, an old Adastra or something like that (tiny fishing boat in Canada), and it did sound a bit funny so I bunged it up with some foam lying around. Doesn't have as high SPL, but sounded much nicer, almost like a DR.

That's all I can say.Smile

excellent!I guess the waterproofing comes at a cost,the re entrant gives you some nice mid reflections.The mouth termination is rather abrupt too.

Ive been looking just today at lipo batteries for RC cars/helis see If i can see something suitable. 11.1v Ones are harder to find, different number of cells that ppl dont tend to use I guess. These are the ones that need careful charging to prevent fires arent they?
I wonder how a bunch of AA Ni_MH on clearance compares.

Im just wondering how this premade 1" re entrant compares with a budget 5" on short midhorn - which wouldnt go as high as the 1" though.

Edited by tb_mike - 10 August 2008 at 9:22am
Stumbler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 7:04pm
Hey davey!

Liking the look of that mate - am at Shambala doing sound for Rebel Soul Cafe, would love to meet up - dont suppose theres any chance u might have any of yr micro rigs there too?  would love to hear them too... Smile
not as straight forward as i first imagined..
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 10:20am
for the bass end on my portable battery powered rig.  im thinking of using a single neo 18" in reflex cab running off about 250w rms class d car amp.  what you recon is gonna be more portable/usable/efficient...  an 18" reflex, or a single punisher? (assuming they are on wheels with a handle like modern suitcases.  i suppose amps and battery can be housed in the reflex cab easier, though i expect this rig will only be used when 2 or 3 peaople are able to take a piece of the rig each.  so maybe one guy wheels the bassbin, one guy takes the battery/amprack, and the third guy takes the topbox (double 8" + compression driver)...

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 10:56am
tb_mike, I've found some cheap re-entrants at Apex Jr (20 USD a piece!).

Rich. I'm not dave, but...

I think the reflex would work best, there are some high efficiency ones out there. The punisher is a good design, but has extremely limited bandwidth in a single (45hz to around 90 in a single according to the sheet?), can the 8" drivers you are using go down that low?
There's also a bunch of other options, like a ported horn similar to ceharden's, or even a small tapped one.

You could even do it Russian doll style and stick the tops and amp in the sub. Then stick big-ass wheels on, so it can trudge through mud LOL.
Coupled with a bunch of battery operated lights (remember the color organ?)...

Have fun!
Away on extended leave.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 2:25pm
i been playing with the russian doll idea actually:)  though i kinda think itll be cool to have two seperate cabs with a person carrying each one.   and the weight will be shared.

i didnt know the punishers had such a small bandwidth.  the 8"'s should go to 90hz, but will probably be nearing their mech limit.  ill stick to reflex i think.  maybe use two 12" or 15"4ohm drivers to show the class d amp a 2r load.   unless i can find a nice amp that will give me the goods at 4r without eating too many ampares.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 2:27pm
this baby looks like the one to drive a single 18" or double 12". 

what sort of accuracy do you think that 290wrms@4r(12volt) was measured at?  it sounds too good to be true for an amp of this price
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 3:04pm
If you're very lucky, it's 1khz continuous sine wave, then wrung through marketing.

If you're unlucky, it's whatever frequency they see fit burst tests, then wrung through marketing.

You know, some/most IC/component companies ship 'sample' boards/ICs for free/small fee (especially to students and 'design engineers', Texas Instruments gave a bunch of students I know the neccesary ICs to build some amps!). Might want to check out websites like Profusion plc (have in stock some of the last few Tripath and Tripath replacement boards), Cirrus Logics, Texas Instruments, etc (and read the datasheets - they're very important for details like 'can this run on my battery for an extended period of time?' and stuff like that that you already knew.)
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>