Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the bose L1, never recomended in small pa threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the bose L1, never recomended in small pa threads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the bose L1, never recomended in small pa threads
    Posted: 01 September 2008 at 9:34pm
the bose L1 has never been recomended in the few small pa threads i have started on here, although i have no intention of buying one, my mate reckons he might be able to borrow one for a listen which might be nice,
 reading through the muso forums, there are plenty of " this system is so good wait for the cheap copies" well i havent seen any, is this tecnology crap and not worth copying or something?

Smile
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 11:11pm
Well looking through the specs - its all cryptic.

There is no definitive SPL or power rating, and the driver configuration is only found through reading the blurb in detail.

So you find out by a process of measurement that it uses 24 3" drivers rated at 20W each.

So really, its quite easy to make your own copy of an L1 system, just using some off the shelf 3" drivers.

Heres an example.

http://cpc.farnell.com/LS00118/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=unbranded-sp-45-4

Grabbing 24 of those would cost you £154, make a little cabinet for them and a stand to sit it in, probably cost you £200 per cab in total.

If you want the Ferrari option you could go with these.

http://cpc.farnell.com/LS01667/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=visaton-frs-8-2004

At a whopping £212 for 24 you could probably get a marginal performance increase, and a power increase of around 120W over the unbranded model it might be worth the extra dosh. IMO its still dirt cheap for a project.

Either way with a decent processor and EQ I would expect you can get much better sound than the BOSE unit for about 1/8th of the money invested - sure you dont get a remote control EQ, and cool looking black boxes with a BOSE logo, but I personally wouldnt mind.

I would personally try and improve on the BOSE by adding a line of piezos or other tweeters next to the woofers to extend the top end response - a 3" is probably ok up to 5kHz or so but I would expect it will probably suffer above that.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 01 September 2008 at 11:17pm
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 12:49am
Actually those L1's are very crisp and bright sounding, on the two occasions i have used them (as a monitor on stage) i had to turn down the HF trim to curb feedback. I suspect therefore they are custom 3's with an extended top end, or that there are some tweeters hidden somewhere!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 1:22am

They're not 3", I think they're 2"~ 2-1/2" (it's the same driver as in the Acoustimass modules, the whole module is 3"x3"

Like all Bose products, they're OK (until you consider the price, then they're a horrible value).

The woofer box for these has what, two 5-1/4" drivers?

Sounds like a good way to keep the stage volume down !

$3,297.00  ???

(5-1/4" is not a woofer size!)

Edited by _djk_ - 02 September 2008 at 1:29am
djk
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 10:40am
Well because they didnt mention the driver size I had to work it out from the dimensions of the box and then guesstimate the amount of space taken up by the woofers vs box.

So as DJK probably quite rightly says they may be smaller than 3"

And as he also quite rightly suggests, picking a different sub should make a vast improvement to the output. A 2x 5 1/4" sub will make about as much noise as a cheap home theatre 5.1 sub.

I can understand BOSEs argument about getting good dispersion and fairly good sound quality, however without a concrete SPL figure and any plots whatsoever, anyone with an iota of sound reinforcement knowledge knows to avoid them like the plague.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 02 September 2008 at 10:44am
All you need to know is:

My acts:
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 12:37pm
thanks  guys,
it appears though that even the pirates have given it a wide berth, which must say something, next time i have a bit of drain pipe laying around i might just get the hole cutters out.

kev
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 1:54pm
I've heard this a few times and have to say that whilst its not up to the same scratch as a decent PA, if your a band doing small halls, weddings etc it might not be a bad buy. Seemed to sound well enough, slightly DSP'd but lets not forget it is Bose, and got up to a decent level without the HF turning into ear daggers, not a great deal of sub but it wasn't absent either and for that sort of material you don't need much anyway. Doubt it would find much love with people on here but if you were a jobbing band who wanted a no hassle PA that can be carried without breaking a sweat, fits in a hatchback and takes a minute to set up you probably wouldn't be disappointed.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 2:30pm
There's a bloke with a guitar who plays in one of the local bars on a fairly regular basis with one of these and I have to say it does sound pretty good. No way you could do a whole band with it, but it's perfect for what he's doing.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 3:25pm

hi guys

why do you think nobody has copied it? when you think of the multitude of ev sx300 clones?
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 3:30pm
Absolutely it will have many uses for anything like that - small band, maybe solo with playback, instrument amplification, very useful. But for the money it costs you could buy about 4 Roland KC series 15" keyboard amps, two full marshall stacks, an 8x10 ampeg and head etc. etc. Hell I think you could buy 1 1/2 Stasys 3s for that.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 02 September 2008 at 3:32pm
All you need to know is:

My acts:
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 3:36pm
I think its just a case of the system being fairly new on the scene still, I havent seen that many people buying the L1 - so if its not a popular box (as something like the SX300 is) why would people clone it? I think the other factor is the engineering that goes into it looks fairly complex, I think to produce a box like that for cheap would be tough. You could do it in wood but that would add to the weight significantly.

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 1:04am
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>