Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 46>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 1:06pm
Of course it can be done, I don't know how much "too much" is.
To do a sim is much easier than a test build!

BUT my question is till not about all that, but about whether to sim the air in front of the cab.
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by cassiya cassiya wrote:

Originally posted by patryk1305 patryk1305 wrote:

What did you paint them with and where did you get your ply?

Would appreciate some info Thumbs Up

I used the anti slip floor paint.. Wink and the ply is from a local builders yard in Dulwhich SE22
They call it hardwood ply.. 2-3mm of hardwood to both face..

Thanks for the info! Looks good btw! Clap
DFACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DFACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 12:45pm
dose anyone have any plans for the sbh in the picture at the top of the page? really like the braces and want to get some made.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 1:03pm
Wondering why so many people are selling these now on FB.

Realistically, what is the optimum frequency range to run a stack of 4x, and do the PD1850/2 & V18-1000 last in them?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
djcharlyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcharlyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 1:05pm
Just completed the bracing, however this was by measurements as opposed to plans. Project is complete, sound awesome, 1851's fitted.
toiminto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toiminto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 9:43am
Has anyone measured a stack of four? Does the dip even out with four cabs as seen in some of the measurements floating around? Did 60cm wide cab change anything compared to the original width? Cassiya? 

I simmed the cab in hornresp with the input values from database simulation thread but the sims look bad for 1850 and void v1000, much different than the measurements i've seen. I'm about to build four but still uncertain what driver to use with them. Maybe 1851/2? 

Want that frontloaded horn sound and extension close to 30s so this cab seems to be the one.

t

http://soundcloud.com/toiminto
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by toiminto toiminto wrote:

Want that frontloaded horn sound and extension close to 30s so this cab seems to be the one.

Not heard them personally, but Cassiya reported they don't drop anywhere near as low, as sims.

If someone reports, pair of cabs can hit 40hz with 800W power input, without shredding driver, that's an upgrade on WSX in my books.
toiminto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toiminto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 10:15am
Not talking about sims, but measurements i've seen show them drop close to 30s. Here's one i scrounged up from the french forum thread: 

"moving on the thread sbh, to the time when I measured mine on a field of 15 hectares first wall 50 meters behind the caissoncurve green receptacles and an amp qsc rmx 1850 hd" (translated from french by google)

another measurement from the same thread

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/construction-d-enceintes/forums/t.291087,super-bass-horn-rcf-lf18n401,p.52.html from here, pages 52 and 53. 

So, it does seem the cab really drops close to 30s, but I'd love to know if that dip on the bottom end will even out with a stack of four :)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 10:47am
Thanks for measurements.. Clap

Problem with that response is, with flat eq, you're gonna hear more 55hz-85hz, than 35-50hz.

Which IMHO, makes the extension down to 30hz almost irrelevant
toiminto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toiminto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 10:59am
Yes, that's why i would love to see measurement with a stack of four - to see if the response evens out with coupling! Simulation shows it evening out with stack of 8 or so but then again the simulation seems to be off compared to measurements anyway. 

If there isn't a measurement of stack of four, i'll provide one once we get these beasts built!
Mattias Andersson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattias Andersson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2014 at 8:35pm
Very interesting. What drivers would you use and how much power would you give them? If loaded with PD1850 would it be possible to give the driver ~1 kw or would it reach its x-max way before. How much power would it handle to reach x-limit?
I love headroom 😋
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2014 at 8:41pm
Most people using these favour the v1000 driver over the 1850
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 46>