Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 46>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2014 at 4:14pm
I've got 6 Loaded with 1850s powered by an Inf 8 v2. We use them primarily for Drum & Bass and the HPF is set at 30Hz. They sound great even at low volume and fully ridiculous when you're giving 'em some!! In stacks of 4 they're ok, but they get loooow when there's 6 in a stack coupled mouth to mouth.

I dont have any measurements or anything like that, but we love 'em - we really needed bins that hit the low notes for the kind of music we play, and we're very happy with them :)

I haven't heard the V1000 in them but would like to! Chatting to Nebula Sounds though who has either 4 or 6 V18 Loaded SBHs he said the 1850 dropped lower but the V18 had more SPL.
jayboom08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayboom08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 12:39am
Hi guys haven't been on here for a bit but yer we from nebula and yer the voids Do have a higher spl in the cab then the 1850 but the 1850 do drop lower in the cab at higher input levels. Only problem we have ever had with them is there heavy and also had some bad driver from void where the kits fell apart other then that I wouldn't have any other Home built bass cabs I highly rate them
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Mattias Andersson Mattias Andersson wrote:

Very interesting. What drivers would you use and how much power would you give them? If loaded with PD1850 would it be possible to give the driver ~1 kw or would it reach its x-max way before. How much power would it handle to reach x-limit?
I love headroom 😋

I'm also really intrigued to know this - I have yet to use our 6 in anger for fear of running up large re-cone kit bills!! But I'm pretty sure there being run well within their comfort zone at the moment.

If anyone had any sims for the 1850 excursion in the SBH would love to see it, I'd do it myself but I have a mac so have no means of running Hornresp.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 9:09pm
temperature & excursion can be monitored crazy diy-style.

testing is necessary, when ready u only need to monitor only one box

temperature: Put a wireless oven thermometer in the back vent
excursion: glue tiny copper or alu foil to back of cone, place blade feather or tinsel wires at xmax, there goes the warning lamp (or relay) comtrol signal!

Yet you would probably still have to blow one to know the exact limit.

@Temp: the voicecoil will be warmer than the vent, and there's a delay in temperature change due to the large heatcapacity of the magnet, possibly better just to monitor the air in the gap.

@excursion, mounting the "feeler" in the right distance is the hard part, it have to be able to move to xlim.

I would say that most often you can hear if your drivers are suffering, but perhaps you can't always be there or everywhere in case u have several system & no engineers.

I stopped my monitoring experiment as i found that the power supply 16A cable gets warm before anything blows:-) -Should be possible to blow with low power though!

happy experimenting,  i'll see if i can get photos after moving workshop.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
space-face View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space-face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

temperature & excursion can be monitored crazy diy-style.

testing is necessary, when ready u only need to monitor only one box

temperature: Put a wireless oven thermometer in the back vent
excursion: glue tiny copper or alu foil to back of cone, place blade feather or tinsel wires at xmax, there goes the warning lamp (or relay) comtrol signal!

Yet you would probably still have to blow one to know the exact limit.

@Temp: the voicecoil will be warmer than the vent, and there's a delay in temperature change due to the large heatcapacity of the magnet, possibly better just to monitor the air in the gap.

@excursion, mounting the "feeler" in the right distance is the hard part, it have to be able to move to xlim.

I would say that most often you can hear if your drivers are suffering, but perhaps you can't always be there or everywhere in case u have several system & no engineers.

I stopped my monitoring experiment as i found that the power supply 16A cable gets warm before anything blows:-) -Should be possible to blow with low power though!

happy experimenting,  i'll see if i can get photos after moving workshop.

I don't think he posts here any more but roborg came up with a very cool system for measuring cone excursion. It had a grey code encoder bar stuck to speaker cone and the position was read off using 6 IR leds. It allowed for real time speaker excursion monitoring, can't remember the refresh rate but it was fast. Think it was +-11mm with 0.5mm resolution

Edited by space-face - 21 September 2014 at 12:40pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 7:14pm
NICE!-)
The excursion solution I mention definately won't last forever!
Actually I only did the temperature thing "in action"

I was thinking about something close, using a ir-reader from a classic ball mouse, but it would take some programming getting the output right.
Peedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 11:31am
Hello,
planning to build 4x SBH loaded with RCF LF18N401.
What kind of kick bin design is best for SBH? I have 2pcs. RCF MB15N351 drivers for that kicks.
For tops i have plan to build 2x MT121
Any recommendation please.

Peedro from Estonia
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 12:37pm
I'd check x451, the neos could have a cooling issue in the closed cab, but over time big magnets get warm too, I can see the point in a lighter cab, but if rcf neo I would consider checking n451.
The 451 models are generally more powerful & suited for horns, but I know the box is made for the other driver. I'd say check the sims!
Peedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 1:27pm
Thanks for answer.
I already have those drivers and I can change them in future if needed. But the question is what design is best for kicks?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 1:33pm
check the hd15sims or make one, that's a very popular bin.
Peedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 7:56am
Is it enough 2 x hd15 for 4 x sbh or I should make them 4?
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Peedro Peedro wrote:

Is it enough 2 x hd15 for 4 x sbh or I should make them 4?
Definately atleast 2x HD15, they don't really shine in singles, each side so atleast 4x for 4 SBH!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 46>