Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 46>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 10:17pm
Is it even possible for a driver like the V18-1000 to drop down to some really low Hz with it's 0,21 Qts and 156 EBP? Sounds like a hard and fatigueing box if tried to match with a FLH tuned really low...

A bit lower EBP/higher QTS would probably yield the more visceral, deep, smooth and warm sound I highly regard when I'm thinking of FLH's... I might be wrong if so could someone please punch me in the face Ouch

Edited by osse - 22 July 2015 at 10:19pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 8:40am
A Qts around 0.312 would make for better bass in this type of design.

Edited by _djk_ - 23 July 2015 at 8:41am
djk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 4:52pm
Did anyone try the rcf lf18x451?
Works well in my friends scoop
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
wtk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2015 at 2:48pm
someone asked me about the decreased chamber volume for pd1850 - i do not remember exactly, i tried more options in hornresp and can not find the files anymore, but think that at the end we made it same volume as is in 1850 horn, that helped to put simulated excursion down without affecting response curve much.
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2015 at 3:30pm
That was me asking wtk.
I simmed it as best I could but taking much more then few litres starting messing with group delay and dipping around 50hz.
Gone for minimal reduction and just getting the ally plate as large as possible for the most amount of surface area.
Yespa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yespa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 3:46am
I am planning to build some of these bad boys.
They look absolutely amazing...

Seems like people that have these ones are really happy for them.

I got a question that have been asked before - Maybe No one knows the answer??

But anyone can help to find out if its possible to use these RCF Drivers

LF18X451
LF18X401

Or would it be better to stick to the LF18N401?

Have no clue how much difference there would be in the response
Or if you would have to modify it?

Mattias Andersson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattias Andersson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 6:20am
Good decision and good luck! I am looking forward to see some building pics from you đŸ˜‰ You will post some right?
wtk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 9:05am
afaik n401 and x401 should behave almost the same, x401 is meant to be ferrite version of n401, we have 8 of them lying around, but i never tried to sim that, will use them for kicks on top of sbh
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2015 at 10:01am
Hej Jesper
I'm following this thread too:-)

The new "x" version are heavier as they are ferrite, but they do have more excursion:-)
I can easilly sim this for you, I was actually about to do it yesterday night, but started studying port phase & delay...

I'd probably go for the x451, not because of the higher power handling, but because of the extended x-max & higher BL.

I'll do the sim, then I think we should consider / sim 3 things:
-Porting, to cool driver & stop excursion, but probably the rear chamber is too small.
-SBH is a Z (or s) Type folding, consider C-type version like amano horn, people say that horns without 180degrees bend sound better
-Build a proto, you can make a "cheap" version without routing grooves for the panels, to get an impression of how it plays place it horizontally in a corner, use correct lowcut, you might want something heavy like a pallet or sacks of sand of the proto if you fire it up. Lie down & listen:-)

If you can get one of those cheap 1 phase house amperemeters plug your amp into it, turn on everything, note the continuate power level, see if you can raise it 250W by playing music (if it's a class-d amp, otherwise 500W)
If you can, I'll pay you a beer:-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Yespa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yespa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 12:23am
@Mattias -Yes for sure i will post pictures of the process :)

We probably gonna start this week building a prototype.

@Wtk -Thx for that info

Lets see what my Trans-Atlantic partner in crime tv00 have to say about this with his simulations :)

@tv00 - Not sure i understand completely - But we can take it on mail.

-Read a few comments on a french forum that some people think these beasts is providing way too much bass... Like getting neighbour complaints from 2-3 KM away :O when used outdoor,
and when used inside theres too much reflexion from walls and it makes the overall feel muddy.

Anyone that have them, find it hard to use them (both inside and outside) because of extreme longthrow? 
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 7:54am
You have those problems with any sub cabinet. I've had complaints from 4 miles away using 4 x1's for instance
JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 8:07pm
Yeah we have 6 of them and the throw can be a problem sometimes... once had someone turn up from 7 miles away saying they could here it. And we regularly get complaints from miles away in certain venues. This is all while we are running them hard though, I had to have them running -12db on the ultra drive at a festival one time because of the other stages and they were still pushing it out.

I don't find running them indoors to be a problem though, if anything I think they sound better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 46>