FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" mid bass horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" mid bass horn
    Posted: 15 January 2009 at 9:44am
Thanks chaps

The folding was always going to be a compromise, but seemed like the best way to fit a long horn in a short box. The use of 4 seperate sections around the bends should help to reduce ill effect. I remember years ago people were using 15" w bins up to 500hz, my version should certainly be an improvement on that.

I really should press on with the 6" horn for above sometime.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
Autograff View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autograff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:51pm
Well Done !

Not even heard it and i want some LOL
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 10:46pm

Give yourself a big pat on the back man, it's really great to see that you attempted such an interesting and pretty radical design (without CAD I must add!) and have pulled it off successfully, at least in terms of construction anywaysClap  My only question mark would be using folds for higher frequencies but despite that, I'd sure like to have a listen to your impressive prototype!  I admit that when I first saw the mid-construction photo you had put up on the compound angles thread it sure had me thinking WTF is that?!

Am also intrigued to see how your tops come out, am looking forward to that!

.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 5:24pm
A brief update-

I've had a good listen at low to moderate levels in the garage, with a 15" reflex below and a 12"+1" reflex above. I started with 90hz hpf and 400 hz lpf, time alingnment done with a dcx auto align.

It sounds pretty good, blended in with the other cabs very well. Bass guitar comes across very nicely, breakbeat loops sound great. I tried all sorts of music including D&B, mid 90's hardcore, Manu Chao, KT Tunstall, Pixies, New Model Army, Bad Manners, S Club 7 (oh yeah!), and any other randomness I had on the laptop. I took the upper freq up to 500hz and it still sounded fine from a distance, although close up (ie in the horn mouth) there was a noticable honk at the upper end, particularly on male vocals. When I took it back to 400hz I could still detect this (sounded like listening through a tube on some notes), but it wasn't audible a couple of metres away.

I need to try this same setup somewhere away from other people and see if the honk is audible at greater distances with higher power levels. It certainly seems like i'll get away with using it up to 400hz. I've started calculating the 6" horn to go above, this should be happy down to around 300Hz, so I'll have some room for manouvre.

Kieran.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 3:40pm
Driver is currently an old Zomax 10", I don't have any accurate t/s parameters for it, I happen to have a few of them so I thought i'd try it for now.

It's got a big magnet and the suspension feels quite tight, my attempts at measuring the t/s gave quite odd results.

I plan to try Beyma 10g40 and 18sound 10mb600 at some point.
Blahblahblah
overdrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 11:56am
Nice build! What kind of driver are you using?
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:55pm
Thanks mobiele eenheid, I really should have known that.

Next question- how do I accurately measure the power going in, do I use a sine wave at a frequency of known impedance? bandpass filtered pink noise? something else? This is all a bit more precise than my old favourite method of just having a good listen (although I'll do that as well of course.)
Blahblahblah
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 5:34pm

100 W (28,28 V@8Ohm)/ 10 metre is common because it's closer to real life use.

To calculate any distance you can take the 10*log of the input power. I.e. 10*log 1 = 0, 10*log 500 (W) = 27 (dB).

Best regards
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 5:07pm
It weighs about 30kg at the moment. This will change when I use 15mm ply instead of 18mm chipboard for the outside, and 12mm ply instead of 12mm mdf for the initial horn. The rest will stay as is, 12mm ply. I will need some extra bracing on the side panels, there's a fair bit of resonance at high power levels. the box also needs to be 20cm taller to allow for the 6" mid horn above. I'm hoping it will be a one man lift when finished, so <50kg is the target, not bad for a 3 way fully horn loaded box.

The spl is calibrated, the input level is not. I'll do some more accurate plots when I try some different drivers.

Could anyone remind me how to do a plot for 1w/1m at a greater distance, ie how to calculate input power to compensate for 6db spl loss per doubling of distance?

Blahblahblah
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 10:11am
Are those plots calibrated?
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 10:41pm
looks amazing! I've been thinking through 10" or 12" low mid wbin-esqe design but you have put the effort in and taken it to the next level! definately beats bill fitz's tops.

How heavy did it turn out? those wood pieces seem pretty thick.

Try taking a plot with the mic in line the horn mouth
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

The only way you could get past that is with a turbo-esque super-multi-cell. And that's nigh impossible!

Hmmm, next project perhaps

I tried another plot in slightly better conditions, but left the mic a bit high off the ground (oops), resulting in a loss higher up.

Looks a lot smoother now. I'll try some measurements in a field when I sort out a decent inverter or quiet generator.

In the meantime I'm confident it'll do what I want in terms of FR, it's time for some extensive listening tests next. I need to try a few tweaks here and there but I'd rather leave this until I've built another one so I can do a/b comparisons. The next one will be made from decent ply and hopefully will eventually be the full 10" 6" 1" box. It's nearly time to work out a starting point for the 6" section and see how I can package it all neatly.

Kieran.
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>