Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" mid bass horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" mid bass horn
    Posted: 27 November 2008 at 8:38pm
Here's something I've been working on for a while, when I get time to.

It's a single 10" intended to go above punishers covering from 100hz up as high as possible. The next part of the cab will be a hornloaded 6" to fit above, and a 1" and horn in the mouth of this part.
Size is currently 500mm wide and high, 730mm deep. Total of 78 pieces of wood/mdf/ply/chipboard in this one box, most irregular shapes with few 90deg cuts.
More pics to follow when I get to the other computer.

I did a quick rough plot, with unknown input power, in less than ideal conditions (in the garage). I'll try to get a better plot outside when the rain stops.

As expected the loww end is a bit weak looking, the horn mouth is not large enough with a single cab, measured off the ground. This should improve if I build some more. Not sure what's causing the other dips, hopefully it'll look diferent when I try it on the ground outside with a decent mic.

Here's a pretty picture for entertainment

Kieran
Blahblahblah
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 8:49pm
ClapThumbs Up

Well done, one of the best I've seen without fibreglass.

Proper measurements will be interesting. Do you have the ability to do measurements off-axis?
Away on extended leave.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 9:52pm
I'll try some off axis plots when the weather's better and I have enough time. Having a quick listen to some music earlier there is a very noticeable beaming of the higher frequencies, however I was using a full range signal, this may be well above the range I'll be using.
Really I need to set it up with some other boxes so I can hear it as part of a system. I find it hard to assess upper bass/low mid when heard in isolation.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 10:24pm
Found some more pics, hopefully this show what's happening inside. Horn length is nearly 110cm.

Baffle and centre piece

Inner sections of flare

Before fitting side panel

This cab is a prototype, hence the use of chipboard.
Blahblahblah
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 10:32pm
good work!!!
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 10:51pm
Thanks, it took me bloomin ages working out all the angles, hope it was worth the effort. I really do need to get on with the listening and measuring.
Blahblahblah
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 11:30pm
Clap nice work!

we need some more projects like this!

Edited by tomschute - 29 November 2008 at 11:31pm
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 12:27am
Eventually we'll all be building our own res4.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 11:20am

WOW.. that has to be THE most complicated build I have ever seen... Good work!

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 11:44am
How does it sound 'up there' with the fold?

Funktion-1 have nothing like this...
Away on extended leave.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 6:58pm
I haven't done any serious listening yet, but I was surprised by the clarity of the mid, female vocals didn't sound too bad. I was hoping it would be usable up to around 400hz so I won't need a huge horn on the (yet to be designed) 6" section. I certainly don't want to use it much higher than this, as the 470mm internal mouth width is probably going to start seriously narrowing disperson around 700hz.

If I get time this week I'll set up 12"+1" cab above it and have a play with x over frequencies. Hopefully it will be a bit easier to judge when I've also got some hf to listen to. I'll try to get some better plots too, although I've got a hot date with a reel of mic cable and a box of XLRs to fit in this week.

You're right F1 don't have anything like this, I don't think many people do. Maybe there's a good reason for that....
Blahblahblah
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 9:53am
Wow!

that is a serious pice of woodwork, although the thing which most impresses is me is the fact that you could visualise something like this well enough to design it!

I have difficulty visualising complex expansions in three dimensions; even if I knew I wanted to end up with something like you have built I don't think my brain would let me work out the arrangement of pieces.

I'm massively impressed. My suggestion would be that once you have the design fine tuned, you should make some of the more complex sections out of fibreglass or resin. Perhaps the box which makes up the rear-chamber could be glassed? What about casting the initial plug?

I suppose if you only make 4 it wouldn't be necessary but if you intend on making 8 or 16 you will save time in the long run.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>