Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" mid bass horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 10:48am
that is a seriously complex design- like a bfm dr with some extra fiendish twists Clap
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 12:59pm
well all I can say is......JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Up
as well as off axis plots, can we have some xrays of your brain please?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 1:36pm
Kinda like the NCA RGW but with a proper horn loaded driver..interesting. Same freq range as well! Wicked idea..

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 1:46pm
are you going to leave the back of the phase bung as it is?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 1:52pm
BeautifulBig smile

Very interested to know how this sounds above 300Hz.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 2:57pm
Thanks for all the compliments folks.

It was very difficult to visualise in 3d, especially as I don't use any CAD programs. I exported the horn expansion from hornresp then used three spreadsheets, one for the initial bung and housing, one for the bend and one for the mouth section. It has ended up being within around 6% of the correct expansion throughout. It got to the point where the only way to work out the details was to start building it and work out/ measure the sizes and angles of the pieces as I went.

I'll probably stick with using wood when I make some more,it's a lot nicer to work with than fibreglass. I had originally considered a fibreglass mouth bung/rear chamber so I could make it round, or maybe a turned wood bowl, but it makes matching the shape to the baffle and fixing it together more tricky.

The initial bung will probably stay wood too, it's quite enjoyable doing a bit of turning, and I'll probably only make 4 or 6 cabs, assuming I'm happy with the prototype.

I'll try an extra piece on the bung, facing the driver, as I am a bit concerned about having a flat piece facing the driver. I'm not sure whether this will be an issue considering the wavelengths involved. An additional piece will reduce the throat chamber volume, I don't know whether this will have a negative effect or not, the volume is already plenty small enough to reach as high as it neeeds to.

As the sun's out at the moment I'm going to find a mic and head out into the garden to do some more plots.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 3:35pm
If you want to try some path-length correction in the proto with a new bung, I'd suggest moulding an 'end-cap' to the existing bung to fit to the dustcap. If you're looking for a cheap back bowl, I find that 'reinforced' salad bowl works well.

You know, the business with the spreadsheets...that's how I work as well. well, am learning some CAD now. LOL
Away on extended leave.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 8:09pm
I left the end of the bung flat so I can try screwing on various end caps. Is it really necessary to go as far as shaping it to fit the dustcap?

It's good to see I'm not the only spreadsheet user (or should that be ludite?) I've had a look at CAD, but it's going to use a lot of time learning how to use it well. I would prefer to use that time cutting up wood, drawing arcs on pieces, taping rulers together and measuring angles etc. For now anyway.

I've done some more plots today, I'll put them up when I've collated them.
Blahblahblah
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 8:59pm
wicked stuff doober.

High praise well deserved!
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 9:08pm
Brilliant! Just saw this. Glad I did. :)
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 9:30pm
Some more plots, done outside with mic close to the ground around 2.2 metres from the front of the cab. No smoothing.

Top trace is on axis, then (going down) 10, 20, 30 degrees off axis.

Ignore the dB scale on the left, the traces are spaced apart for easier viewing.

Horizontal plane

Vertical (done by lying cab on it's side and repeating first test)

Beaming isn't bad at all in the range I plan to use it.

There are still a fair few dips and peaks, possibly caused by the proximity of walls. I'll do some calculations to try and work out if these dips correspond to distances to the walls. Maybe it's time to take the cab to the beach or up ont' moor and try some plots in a nice empty space (and probably an 80mph wind).

More ramblings to follow tomorrow.

Kieran

Blahblahblah
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 5:43pm
I'd highly suggest getting some cad - it really will help your development - I can't beleave you get so far without using cad so if you had this time saving ability you might just end up taking over the world! 

something like solid works is really easy to learn.

Tom
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>