Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" mid bass horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 5:24pm
A brief update-

I've had a good listen at low to moderate levels in the garage, with a 15" reflex below and a 12"+1" reflex above. I started with 90hz hpf and 400 hz lpf, time alingnment done with a dcx auto align.

It sounds pretty good, blended in with the other cabs very well. Bass guitar comes across very nicely, breakbeat loops sound great. I tried all sorts of music including D&B, mid 90's hardcore, Manu Chao, KT Tunstall, Pixies, New Model Army, Bad Manners, S Club 7 (oh yeah!), and any other randomness I had on the laptop. I took the upper freq up to 500hz and it still sounded fine from a distance, although close up (ie in the horn mouth) there was a noticable honk at the upper end, particularly on male vocals. When I took it back to 400hz I could still detect this (sounded like listening through a tube on some notes), but it wasn't audible a couple of metres away.

I need to try this same setup somewhere away from other people and see if the honk is audible at greater distances with higher power levels. It certainly seems like i'll get away with using it up to 400hz. I've started calculating the 6" horn to go above, this should be happy down to around 300Hz, so I'll have some room for manouvre.

Kieran.
Blahblahblah
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 10:46pm

Give yourself a big pat on the back man, it's really great to see that you attempted such an interesting and pretty radical design (without CAD I must add!) and have pulled it off successfully, at least in terms of construction anywaysClap  My only question mark would be using folds for higher frequencies but despite that, I'd sure like to have a listen to your impressive prototype!  I admit that when I first saw the mid-construction photo you had put up on the compound angles thread it sure had me thinking WTF is that?!

Am also intrigued to see how your tops come out, am looking forward to that!

.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
Autograff View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autograff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:51pm
Well Done !

Not even heard it and i want some LOL
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 9:44am
Thanks chaps

The folding was always going to be a compromise, but seemed like the best way to fit a long horn in a short box. The use of 4 seperate sections around the bends should help to reduce ill effect. I remember years ago people were using 15" w bins up to 500hz, my version should certainly be an improvement on that.

I really should press on with the 6" horn for above sometime.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234