Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carver PM 1.5 Power Factor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:38pm
While I will not claim to be a Carver expert, I have worked on the amplifiers before and have a reasonable understanding of the way they work.

However it might be that to return the amp fully it will require someone with more extensive test equipment than I have.

I am willing to take a look and I'll reply to your email when I have a few more minutes.  Currently battling with trying to stop one of my own designs oscillating at about 2MHz!

Guy Johnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 7:10pm
I knew a studio where they ran six PM 1.5s powering two ATC 100s. Sounded fantastic. No problems diving HF or MF drivers. I own an old Carver that was on the highs on an abused PA, and that was fine. Surely, there will be enough pauses in the signals to allow the supplies to settle down? 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 7:58pm
A small live music venue near me has a PM1.5 driving 4x JBL 1" comp drivers 5k-20k, and has been for about 20 years without incident. I think perhaps the low duty cycle of this frequency range with music signals allows time for the heat to dissipate. In operation, its level meter LEDs only move at all on a particularly loud "S" from the singer.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
anatech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:02pm
Hi Studio45,
You are just really lucky then.  If you ever drive that amp hard you'll be overheating it, which you probably are right now.

The time constant on the commutators are set for bass or full range music.  They will tend to stay locked up being used for mid-high duty.  You're lucky, that's all.  One day the cumulative effects of higher operating temperature may bite you.  Failure rates double for every 10 °C rise in operating temperature.

-Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123