Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building 12 Punisher horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building 12 Punisher horns
    Posted: 04 August 2005 at 2:05pm

The carpenter I know very well got orders for 12 Punisher horns (for different customers) There will be pictures of the building on his own dutch site:

www.iven.nl

Which might be helpful for your own construction. He uses a slightly more complicated design which included handles and more refined way joining of the panels (using a router) but basically it is the same Punisher II design (for Ciare 2005 version):

The first picture is over here:

http://www.iven.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91#91

Best regards,

Walt

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 2:20pm

Twelve?????  Ambitious Chap!

Jim

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 3:25pm
So before they go their separate ways, will you be taking plots of 12 Punishers going in unison, or are you short of amp power 
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 3:32pm

I should be able to arrange a rack with 5x MC2 E45 (>30.000W RMS)amps to power the Punishers. But too bad only 6 of them will be fitted with a Ciare driver. The other six will be finished by the customers themselves.

Best regards,

Walt

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 5:47am
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 5:58am

@Walt,

The pics look nice!  Looks like good work!  I love the pics that you can see the "sawdust" on the floor.  Makes it real!

I noticed the foam on some of the joins.  Is he using a polyurethane glue (ie.. Gorrilla Glue, etc)?  If so, is he using it on all joins?  I like the concept and I've had pretty good luck with it on other projects.  I'm planning on putting my cabs together with it.

This should be a pretty impressive "pile" of speakers when done!

Jim

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 6:29am
I used Polyurethane glue (5min setting) on my last project.  Couldn't get the joints together and clamped quick enough before it set.  If you can get some stuff which is a little slower then go for it.  Personally I'm probably going back to PVA.  Other problem is you can't wash it off anything with anything.  No solvent I've tried will get it off your hands before or after it's set! Wear gloves!
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 6:39am

Wow!  The stuff I'm using doesn't even show foam for about an hour.  The bottle says to "Clamp for 1 to 4 hours".  Clean up wet glue with Acetone or Mineral Spirts.

If it sets that fast, how well does it "bite"?  Maybe good for something else, but not for fiddly joins.

Jim

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 7:11am
This stuff is a bit special, made by Evo-stick, bonds pretty much anything to anything, seawater proof etc.  Comes in a sealant gun cartridge. Seemed a good idea when I was in the hardware shop.  It's useful for doing quick jobs cos you can pretty much just hold a joint together by hand for a couple of mins.  If you want to build cabs and use them about an hour later it's great!!!

Will have a look for the regular stuff for the next job tho.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 7:58am

http://www.iven.nl/bouwproces/punisher/punisher_bestanden/IM G_4655.JPG

I only got upto that step so far with the Punisher I'm building but I feel like I done something wrong, cos I didn't use those clamps I just held the glue together by screwing the panels.

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 8:10am

Holding the glue together using screws is fine. I have used that method when building cabinets for myself. That worked out very well.

Make sure you pre-drill the screwholes. Otherwise the screwing will push the panels away from each other because the material which is under the screw has not got a way out. By pre-drilling this material is already almost gone.

Best regards,

Walt

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 12:28pm

Yep pre-drilled the screwholes and even counter sunk them so the screw is flush with the surface of the wood. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>