Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn length-Mouth size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn length-Mouth size
    Posted: 29 January 2009 at 3:15pm
correct me if im wrong but as far as i am aware the cut off frequency of a horn is a quarter of a wavelength of the lowest frequency that the horn can play.

so what does the mouth size have to do with it?

cheers
The only good system is a sound system.
speaker monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaker monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:18pm
I think the mouth area has more to do with impedance matching with the air.
That's my 2p anyway.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:18pm
A good rule of thumb for mouth size is, assuming a round horn, the circumference needs to equal the wavelength of the lowest frequency, if used in full space. The area can be halved for half space use, halved again for quarter space and so on.

If the mouth is too small there will be a reduction in level at the lower end, and peaks and dips above cut off.

For a more detailed explaination look at Keele's paper

If you are using an exponential horn you will also have a flare rate, or flare frequency (called F12 in hornresp) which is linked to the ratio of throat to mouth. This also determines how low a horn will play.

There's a lot more to it than that, look at some of the horn design links on the main speakerplans site.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by speaker monkey speaker monkey wrote:

I think the mouth area has more to do with impedance matching with the air.That's my 2p anyway.

A horns main purpose is to match the impedance with the air. It can be thought of as an acoustic gearbox.
Blahblahblah
Bassaddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:52pm
cheers for the link. have actually been flicking through some of his AES papers today.

only one of the the links for the horn pages is working the rest are saying 'PAGE NOT FOUND'

any ideas?
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 5:07pm
Blahblahblah
Bassaddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bassaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 5:24pm
thanks again doober, some cracking links there
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 8:17pm

If the walls of a horn are parallel, a tube, it will resonate at frequencies where the length of the tube is an odd integer multiple of ΒΌ wavelength.

If you start to taper the walls outwards the fundamental resonant frequency rises and the resonant peaks become attenuated and broader while the dips in response start to fill in. The increased damping initially affects the higher harmonics but as the mouth area increases the lower harmonics become increasingly damped too.

If the mouth area is sufficiently large the horn will be non-resonant. Most bass horns are not ideal and exhibit the resonant, if damped, characteristics of a quarter wavelength pipe.

S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:07pm
So then what effect does wadding / foam on walls have on horn behaviour? I assume it probably has no useful effect as its never used...
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:15pm
Wadding and foam are pretty useless at LF...apart from helping marginally with standing waves in the front/rear chamber.

At HF, it's a different story.
Away on extended leave.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 6:43am
There's a formula which calculates the cutoff frequency of a exp horn. It uses

1) horn length
2) mouth area
3) throat area
4) horn exp coeff (eg 1 = hyp exp)

I cant remember it offhand. but basically if you make the mouth/ throat ratio smaller you get a lower cutoff for a given horn length at the expense of a more peaky response and less gain. simple.
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
speaker monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaker monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 9:02pm
Baranecks horn equations:

m = (2pi * fc) / c

and

S = St * e^(mx)

Where
m = Horn Constant/Coefficient
fc = Cut-off freq
c = speed of sound in air (normally 343m/s)
S = Mouth Area
St = Throat Area
x = length of horn

I have also seen the first equation using "4pi" instead of "2pi", this was in the Klipsh horn, possibly using 4pi because it is a W bin therefore a double horn. But I am really not sure about that and never did figure it out properly. Would be nice if someone would clear that up for me (not that I mean to hijack a thread)

monkey x

Edited by speaker monkey - 04 February 2009 at 11:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>