Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest CA18 & 9001

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 1:31am
Originally posted by demanddeepbass demanddeepbass wrote:

Yep, 18 and 9001 have same number and same type of OP devices.
I did a very quick tot up of farads: 75000uF in the 18 and 76000uF in the 9001: near as makes no difference. Didn't look at ripple figures.

Are you sure 9001 has 76000uf of caps. That seems really low.

In comparison the Infinite 8 V2 has just under 500000uf of caps.

I wonder if you charged the caps on an inf 8 and then unpluged it from the mains, there would be enough charge left to run the bass on a small disco setup all night. Free bass.

Thats it, I'm off to the lab to do some testing.
Rengade Project View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rengade Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 2:17am
9001 is the more powerful of the two,the techs at old crest said to me (not the exact words) the CA series are the watered down version of the 00 pro.
MUSIC SWEET,www.myspace.com/renegadeproject
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Rengade Project Rengade Project wrote:

9001 is the more powerful of the two,the techs at old crest said to me (not the exact words) the CA series are the watered down version of the 00 pro.

Of course that's right.

The only question is how similiar are they.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
demanddeepbass View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demanddeepbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 11:15am
Looked at the schematics a bit more carefully today:
@Rog - I wasn't very clear here I've only totted up the total caps on the + rail.... and I've got it the wrong way round! The 1997 CA18 has a total storage across all rails of 152000uF 36000uF on the low rail and an additional 40000uF on the high rail. (there's a note on the drawing saying that the total was upped from 144000uF)
The 1996 version of the 9001 has LESS storage @150000uF total. 42000uF on the low rail and 33000uF on the high rail.
I'm afraid not everybody builds amps like you Rog.......
@Elliot: I've found where you got your numbers from now. You're talking about the max output voltage specified but the DC rail voltage available to the output devices is shown as the same in both amps. Intestingly I cant out what find the low rail voltages are in either.
I also can't find any info on the mains transformer which is the bit which could make quite a difference. Anybody know the specs?
I was also going a bit blind yesterday - the 9001 has 2 additional output devices on the + and - low rails, over the CA18 so it will deliver a bit more power. In most other respects I would describe the output section of these amps as near identical. Even the component numbering is the same. One is very clearly a variant of the other.
"These amps go up to 11"
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 12:51pm
demanddeepbass

The power supply is the key.

The 9001 state a 10kVA transformer and, weighs 49.94 kg. It offers the same size transformer as the Crest 10,001 (Two 5kVAs). The CA 18 weighs 34.96 kg.

When you take into consideration the weight in addition to the current amongst the two, the 9001 is far superior than the CA 18.

The Crest 9001 is close to 8000 watts from a current standpoint whereas the CA 18 is close to 5000 watts @ 4 ohms.

levyte357

If I were in the UK, I would buy 5 of Rog's Infinite 8 Amplifiers. It is a very good amplifier. I'm not sure why the interest in the Crest CA 18 when it offers the least amount of power of the three from a current standpoint. If I remember correctly, the Infinite 8 should offer around 8200 watts when comparing amperage versus wattage. If one is looking to load eight 8-ohm woofers on one amplifier, you look for the amplifier that offers the most current.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

levyte357

If I were in the UK, I would buy 5 of Rog's Infinite 8 Amplifiers. It is a very good amplifier. I'm not sure why the interest in the Crest CA 18 when it offers the least amount of power of the three from a current standpoint.

Thanks for that Elliot.

I already own a CA18, and just wanted to clear up some rumours regarding the CA18 and 9001.

Fully aware of Inf8 MK2 prowess, however my back has instructed me that my next sub amp will be lightweight, even though that means reduction of floorboard rattling. LOL

Edited by levyte357 - 13 February 2009 at 1:05pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 1:38pm

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

levyte357

If I were in the UK, I would buy 5 of Rog's Infinite 8 Amplifiers. It is a very good amplifier. I'm not sure why the interest in the Crest CA 18 when it offers the least amount of power of the three from a current standpoint.

Thanks for that Elliot.I already own a CA18, and just wanted to clear up some rumours regarding the CA18 and 9001.Fully aware of Inf8 MK2 prowess, however my back has instructed me that my next sub amp will be lightweight, even though that means reduction of floorboard rattling. LOL

Fair enough.   

If you compare the Crest 9001 to the CA 18 for Highs-Mid frequencies using an 8-4 ohm load per channel both, should give you the same output. The difference will be noticeable under 2-ohm per channel loads supplying Bass-Sub Bass frequency notes.

It would imagine this is why demanddeepbass mentioned the voltage rails being identical so, the output amongst the two would be the same. I was looking at the amplifiers from a current perspective, which shows a difference amongst the two under low impedance loads.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 1:35am
Thanks for the Inf 8 big up Elliot.

An Inf 8 V2 got tested by the demon amp tester and the results were, well, unexpected.

2800 watts into 4 ohms per side. Thats a lot more than the spec sheet says.

Note to self: Don't be so economic with the ratings next time.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 3:39am
Let those who buy amplifiers based on brand name remain baffled when their shiny new insert name here amplifier cannot deliver the same amount of raw power as yours without current limitation although, stating more power Wink

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 15 February 2009 at 3:40am
Elliot Thompson
RC1 Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 10:30pm
Just done a bench test head to head between a CA18 and a 9001.  They are not the same.  9001 is a bigger amp.  Pretty much regardless of load the 9001 comes out about a third more powerful in terms of actual wattage output.  Interesting....
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 10:41pm
Your roadies just ran for the hills screaming NNNnnnnnnooooooo
It's everything, not everythink!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 10:53pm

Edited by mini-mad - 05 June 2015 at 10:55pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>