Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable sound system!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable sound system!
    Posted: 30 March 2009 at 4:01pm
Hi all, glad to join the forum :-).

I know that this post / topic is a little unorthodox for this forum, but I guess I'll just see how you guys handle it......

I basically am going to create a small soundsystem, or 'boombox' for the summer. I am currently doing my A2 finals, and would like to have a system ready for the end of them - ie the summer! I am thinking a sub 10kg box with plenty of power that can run well for an afternoon, and cost under £200 (!)

So, I thought car stereo system (amp + equaliser + linein + radio in one) with a 12v deep cycle battery, and 6" car speakers. Here are what I have found so far:

The SEK60s handle 115w RMS, so I would bridge the rear and front from the amp (4x55wrms per channel) to deliver more power to them. The battery while quite heavy holds alot of juice and can deliver it over a long time :-)

These would all be in a plywood box covered over with some speaker felt for a quality feel / construction.

Thoughts? Is there a better way of doing it? I know that car head units arent very efficient.....

Thanks all Big smile

Edited by subbass - 03 June 2009 at 10:43pm
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 4:24pm
I cheated and used bits I had lying around. I ripped apart laptop battery packs for their Li-ion cells, and used a Tripath based amp module which is ~90%efficient as it's class D.

I gaffer taped some old Aiwa midi hifi speakers together and it works a treat. Plenty of volume and the battery lasts around 10 hours. I have 2 batteries so I can charge 1 while using the other. Smile

I would not use a headunit and car amp, as you say they use a fair amount of power.... Get something like a Sonic Impact T-amp and try it up to some car speakers, you'll be surprised how much sound it kicks out...

Edited by MikeHunt79 - 30 March 2009 at 4:26pm
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 4:42pm
Sonic amp has only 15wrms x2? I know going by watts isnt a great idea - but 220 vs 30 is quite a difference :\. Have just read some reviews though, none of them can recommend them enough though! Although, I can't find anywhere that will sell them below £60, when they used to be £20...

I meant just a head unit by the way - no external amp.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 5:53pm
'I know that this post / topic is a little unorthodox for this forum, but I guess I'll just see how you guys handle it, lol.'

If you use the search function, there's been a few of these style things, you can see how people have solved the problem. Davey T's 'minirig' is probably the best looking one imo, and there are others on wheels etc. If you have a 20W amp, try looking for sensitive speakers Wink
Away on extended leave.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 6:46pm
Pinch dont know if its just me, but I can't seem to find davey ts page on his minirig .. after much searching..

Can you give me a link to the topic? Thanks alot for the help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by subbass subbass wrote:

Sonic amp has only 15wrms x2? I know going by watts isnt a great idea - but 220 vs 30 is quite a difference :\. Have just read some reviews though, none of them can recommend them enough though! Although, I can't find anywhere that will sell them below £60, when they used to be £20...

I meant just a head unit by the way - no external amp.

Ahh, so you're using the amp in the headunit? I think you'll find the 4x50W rating is BS...it's more like 10W per chan.

The sonic impact T-amp will give more power per channel then the headunit, they both run from 12v and the t-amp is higher efficiency...
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 6:54pm
Oh, okay - I was under the impression that the quoted power from the head unit was rms - i should look closer at the packaging next time :P.

Is there a good site you could recommend for buying speaker components? For a good pair of sensitive speakers with tweeters (+ a little crossover) ?

thanks Big smile
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 7:09pm
** found http://www.bluearan.co.uk/ , what kind of sensitivity should I be looking for? 1w@1m = 96db seems to be the highest I can find, this is about right I take it? Smile

Edited by subbass - 31 March 2009 at 7:17pm
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 9:33pm
hey dude, i'm gonna be buildin minrigs when i get back in a couple months so u can place an order. or if you want to do your own:

Simple and cheap would be Eminence beta 8a in 18L enclosure tuned to 70hz with APT80 tweeter. a skytronic 3.5khz crossover would work fine - all of this you can buy from bluearan. You might want to put an L-pad on the tweeter or input filter on the amp to take down the hf.

for something smaller, look for generalosity on ebay - he used to sell really good 4" full range wharfdale drivers which i used in my mini rigs. These sound great in 3L vented boxes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-15-watt-4ohm-TA2024-D-class-Audio-Amplifier-Board_W0QQitemZ370167643444QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item370167643444&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

sure electronics sell the t-amps in bare module form on ebay.

go to www.41hz.com to build your own but it'l probably work out the same price!

plug the head unit into the battery with an amp meter in series and tell us what it pulls when its just on - i bet its a lot. Unless the head unit has a voltage boost circuit (which few do) then it'l put out the same power into 8r as the t-amps as mentioned above.

you can power those t-amp modules off 10xAA rechargables or a nice 5ah 12v would last well.

see you in st andrews park!

Edited by davey t - 31 March 2009 at 9:39pm
Minirig portable soundsystem movement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:42pm
davey t: Have you thought about using an active crossover as those Sure amps are stereo and your minirig is mono, you could use 1 ch for bass and the other chan for treble - it would be  biamped like those high end studio monitors... Wink

You a Brizzle person too as it says NZ in your location... Tongue

Edited by MikeHunt79 - 31 March 2009 at 10:43pm
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:53pm
Safe, thanks so much!

The eminence beta 8a - are they the standard beta 8s? Or is there a difference? Thanks for the advice, I would never have thought a 15w amp would have been possible to drive 8"s and tweeters 0.o.

I found 41hz, and was looking at the AMP1 packages - but then it started getting technical with the power supply needed and i began to doubt if it was worth figuring out all the electrics... That ebay link looks brilliant, and so cheap!

I think I'll go with a bigger battery tbh, not to keen on buying AAs, they seem to cost far too much in comparison, and a battery that will run all day is pretty tempting :).

I'm starting to be tempted to build a second module as well, the same amp but running twin subs to put underneath it to reinforce the lowend, but thats probably just me going over the top lol :).
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:57am
I use a beyma 8bx co-axial driver off one of those sure electronics amps, plenty loud enough most of the time and that's only 92db sensitive. Runs for ages off a drill battery.

Next step is to learn to build and power an active crossover, so I can use a class D car amp for bass and go horn loaded for top and mid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>