Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable sound system!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:13pm
i have been building a rig for my brother.  itll be complete by the weekend and i will post up picks of the build.  his budget was £200 total.

it consists:
4x 8inch bass/mids
1x 5.5inch mid
1x piezo tweeter

running from a sony 100watt amp (bridged)
batteries: 3x 7ah yuasa = 21ah. 

the cabinet is designed so it can be dragged on two wheels in the same way most modern suitcases are designed. 
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 3:45pm
well, does anyone know if the 2x15w amp gives good sound for x2 8"s andx2 tweeters? Or would two, for the left and right channel, both bridged give far better sound?
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by subbass subbass wrote:

well, does anyone know if the 2x15w amp gives good sound for x2 8"s andx2 tweeters? Or would two, for the left and right channel, both bridged give far better sound?

You can't bridge that amp as it's already bridged.

I use it to power 2 x 6" and 2x 1" tweeters and it sounds great with more then enough volume for me. Smile
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 4:34pm
*facepalms*

Well, I guess when I get around to actually making the thing (2 months tops, I think im being a little premature..) Ill try it with one, and if it doesnt have enough kick, then I'll try running it with two ^_^.

After all £18 is pretty cheap- so I havent really got anything to lose, if I dont use the second then ill whack it in somewhere else :).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 4:55pm
Yep, just try out the amp, I'll think you'll be surprised how loud it goes when up to sensitive speakers...
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 5:46pm
i recon running one of these £18 amps into a dual vc 8" woofer would work great.  like the volt dvc 8inch.  then maybe another one of them running a mid on one side and a tweeter on the other.  i just got my 12v active crossover in the post.  gonna open up a lot of options for me now, and also allow better efficiency.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 1:16pm
one last important point i think is worth making is that i find running an electronic high pass filter saves oodles of battery life.  my rig wont go much lower than 60hz, so i threw the highpass on the amp to 60hz.  this is pretty damn low setting for a built in high pass on a car amp so i was lucky(most are around 80-120hz).  you might want to look at electronic kits or 12volt crossovers where you can highpass the input to your amps.     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

i recon running one of these £18 amps into a dual vc 8" woofer would work great.  like the volt dvc 8inch.  then maybe another one of them running a mid on one side and a tweeter on the other.  i just got my 12v active crossover in the post.  gonna open up a lot of options for me now, and also allow better efficiency.

Good idea, what are you using as a 12v active crossover? I was going to try and make my own but it's pretty complex with rail-splitters and op-amps... Confused
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 10:49pm
Excellent advice on the high pass. I have a bunch of Sony (not so) Microamps, two channel 25wrms a channel, and a couple of class h/t 50wrms per channel amps.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 3:54am
Originally posted by MikeHunt79 MikeHunt79 wrote:

Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

Good idea, what are you using as a 12v active crossover? I was going to try and make my own but it's pretty complex with rail-splitters and op-amps... Confused

have a look on ebay for crossovers in the in car entertinment section.   im using a caliber half din unit.  its the same width as a head unit, but half the height.  nice little box with a preamp, 5 band eq, subwoofer volume etc., only negative is the fixed crossover points which im gonna be modifying to different frequencies if i can work out how.  try and find one with a variable crossover.  £20 should get you something more than adaquate.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 4:05am
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Soubd-DR67-2-3-4-5-Way-Crossover-Competition_W0QQitemZ140313348963QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_Car_Amplifiers_PP?hash=item140313348963&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
these babies are very good value.  and most of the models from prosound have crossover freq knobs and multiplier switches meaning hyper flexibility.  i once even used one of these for a party because my 230v berry gave up the ghost becaue its multiplier switches started to play up.  sound quality wasnt too shabby from a car audio product either..
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 5:35pm
They look pretty good, preamp and xover in one :). and its 12v..

So far I'm thinking a Yuasa 17Ah (smallest SLA deep cycle battery I can find, would use smaller ones in parallel if I could...) or 2 17Ah if I can find the cash.. This would then perhaps feed into a 1F cap (will 'loan' it from maplins to see if it works well enough, if not then ill package it up and return it). Then they go to the 12v equaliser and the 2x15w amp (which if it doesnt do the job then ill buy another and run one per channel). each these will then feed into a beta 8 and APT80 (1 of each per chan) via a little passive Xover..

Battery(s) -> Cap(?) -> 12v equaliser -> amp(s) -> passive Xover -> speakers

How does that sound?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>