Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie question about 12" horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie question about 12" horn
    Posted: 06 May 2009 at 5:47pm
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 7:03pm
The speaker hole is round, and mounts behind the horn flare. Take a look at these plans. Similar for a 15.

http://www.instant-automatons.com/technical/816cab.gif
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:23pm
The hole isn't a full circle, it's just open where you can see the driver from the front.

Be careful if you're planning to use this as a kick cab above scoops - it won't play below 180Hz comfortably as the horn isn't big enough.
Cookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 12:23pm
Thanks both of you.

What would you suggest to go low enough to meet 15" scoop with JBL 2226.

the high mid is sorted. I dont really want more 15"s.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 1:10pm
Depends how many scoops you have, what mid tops you're using, and where you plan to use them.

What frequency range do your high mids play down to? What frequency do your scoops play up to?

People will probably recommend dual reflex 15" if you're using 4-6 scoops inside. If you're using them outside or with more scoops it'll be worth thinking about horn loaded enclosures I imagine.
Cookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 1:55pm
outside and in.
I have Dual 15" turbosound also . These dont get anywhere near my tops, they are 2" and 1" compression.

I have thought about it and listened without the low mid and think 12s will do it.

Just gonna get building. gonna use eminence beta 12. they say they go down to 50hz. That will meet subs and they go high so...

One more question please.

If beta 12 go down to 50hz spec . Can they not go that low depending on the box / horn they are in . Will the box design limit the performance or can it only improve its performance?

thanks
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 2:38pm
sorry i've lost you mate. not sure what your current setup is, so any suggestions would be a bit of a stab in the dark.

put the eminence beta 12 in a reflex box, not a horn loaded enclosure. use WinISD to work out required box volume and tuning. tuning the box to 70hz will mean the drivers can be pushed hardest in the required 90 - 350hz (?) range i.e. you can put a decent amount of power in without the driver exceeding excursion limits. they shouldn't need to go down to 50hz as your scoops are dealing with that range.

Edited by darkmatter - 08 May 2009 at 2:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply