Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

line array projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kunak23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: line array projects
    Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:38pm
HI there all,
has anyone ever thy tobuild a line array cabinet?
Any specifications about it?
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 10:48am

i'm sure we've all considered it at least once...

read here first.

james.
mardy hippy.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 10:52am
Nothing magic about them at all. Most of it is about the HF end. When people see the cost of GOOD top end drivers that work to a suitably low frequency that's when the interest ussually diminishes.

I agree with James that Steve's introduction to them is a good start.

Tony 
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 12:40pm
http://www.paudiothailand.com/pdf/products/HF%20Line%20Array%20design%20requirements%20V2.pdf
But the 1.4" CD and wave guide aren't brilliant in the range after 7kHz - but you will find this unless you pay some big $$$  and get better CD/wave guide - system EQ will be needed to get it to sound right - as with a lot of LA's out there
Don't worry F$cked up bigger gigs than this one...........
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 1:32pm
Hello,

I'm from the Netherlands and new here, excuse me for my bad englishEmbarrassed
The past 6 years I was thinking about designing and building a small line array.
This year I build the first prototype cabinet, it contains a dublle 8" RCF low/mid driver and a 1"Renkus Heinz compression driver. The wave guide is my own design even as the complete rigging system.
On this moment I finished 6 cabinets, the covering of a single cabinet is 15 degrees vertical and 120 degrees horizontal (-6 dB point) from 100 Hz up to 16kHz.
This system is powered by a Roland M400 mixing desk, a Apex Intelli-X processor and Lab Gruppen amplifiers. The sound is a real 'line array' sound, very clean, loud and 'in your face' and much better as I ever had dreamed offBig smile.

tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:16pm
Looks great. Where did you get the hardware?
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:23pm
I designed it all by myself, it is made from air-craft aluminium (watercutted ) and black anodised.
The bumper is also my own design, made from steel and black powder coated.
The other 6 cabinets are almost finishes and waiting for low/mid drivers.

Edited by MusicXtra - 05 August 2009 at 2:25pm
kunak23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kunak23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:39pm
Hey MusicXtra¡¡ That looks awesome, could you please post some more pictures and gives some advices on how you did it?
Thanx
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:51pm
Ok, here some pics from earlyer stages:

12 cabinets is a lot of workDead almost all panels have a lot of strange angles.

Lots of brainwaves, sleepless nights and prototypes for designing the rigging hardware

Here the first prototype watercutted.

And a picture from a 4 cabinet stack without grilles.

Edited by MusicXtra - 05 August 2009 at 3:22pm
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 3:25pm
Here a picture from the fly/stack bumper with the first wattercutted prototype of te rigging hardware.

MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 3:28pm
And here a picture of a 6 cabinet ground stack with the latest version of the rigging hardware.
The fly bumper is also finished and black powder coated.

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:58pm
Very nice! Did your waveguides work as designed the first time or did you do quite a bit of tweaking and measuring beforehand to get them right? Do you find it still sounds good with only two or three cabs stacked per side, or does it need the full length of the line for best effect/dispersion control?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>