Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folded Horn for Jbl 2226H

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murph101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folded Horn for Jbl 2226H
    Posted: 11 June 2009 at 3:26am

Hi there

I have been looking at various designs of folded horn sub enclosures and am just looking for a bit of advice.  At the moment I have two JBL 2226H 15inch drivers in standard enclosures running at around 600W each.  I am looking for a folded horn design that I could use these drivers more efficiently in. A requirement is that they must fit under a stage. The opening's on each side under the stage at the moment are 450mm high and 1000mm wide. Plenty of depth as there is nothing under the stage so an enclosure could go as deep as needed. The size of the opening cannot be altered. The setup they will be used in is in a venue that seats around 450 people. The audio is predominantly live bands. Our top end is covered by 4 JBL AM4212/64’s. Do you have any suggestions of a suitable design? I would be grateful for any advice.

Regards

tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 12:49pm
I know the 2226 has been used in HDs / HD215s - although too big and not sub so probabily worthless for your application.

Perhaps this might be worth a look -

http://www.speakerstore.nl/constructions/10

single use aparently good for 50 Hz

Although again too wide but be easy enough to mod down to W450mm if you get your calculator out. You could always Hornresp it up and have a play...
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 12:55pm
or you could just build some ported reflex's tuned to your requirments... 
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
malina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:22pm
Or build copy of CSD1200/15B.
Malina Audio
dj steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 2:24pm
facebook.com/djtrackaudiocenter
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2012 at 5:31pm
Used this jubals in my Titan 48's.8 of this will rock,nice kickdrums and bass guitar.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Ionkontrol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ionkontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 11:32am
2226 is not a horn driver. Build reflex or change drivers.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 11:41am
I also can't see how two low power 15s are ever going to supply good sound to 450 people
me so horny, me love you long throw.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2012 at 2:06pm
The 2226 is well suited to a tapped horn.

Two drivers would need a mouth area of 4800cm^2 (which you barely have). This is a 30hz design, a 40hz design would be quite a bit smaller.

A regular FLH (front load horn) would require a much bigger mouth than you have available. Reflex would require more drivers and more power.

Edited by _djk_ - 09 November 2012 at 2:10pm
djk
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Ionkontrol Ionkontrol wrote:

2226 is not a horn driver. Build reflex or change drivers.

And what make's you think this? I've used them in horn loaded cabs without problem and bandpass and reflex the 2226 is a great driver as long as you don't thrash the arse out of it.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply