Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 43>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 11:28am
Welcome along Mark. It's crazy here :).

Go find this page. Make sure you have plenty of time;

http://forum.speakerplans.com/citronic-consoles-mixers-and-amps_topic33734.html
Billy Dawg.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by drum1707 drum1707 wrote:

Some Citronic Consoles.

Not quite sure what this is?

I think this one is a Stateline II although i maybe wrong!

Tamar

Thames II

Severn

Severn II Popular

Powered Mono Popular

Powered Stereo Popular

I have a Powered Stereo Popular as above, and also as on page 7, a Cloud Buckingham. It is ace.
On another Anorak location there is for sale a Citronic Thames 2 like above. The guy want's 800 quid for it!! Absolutely mental. He is not happy with me as I have stated such.. oop's! SmileSmile Maybe it should be on the dreamers page..
Billy Dawg.
markshowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markshowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 9:17pm
I  saw on one of the pages here, a brochure for Mushroom Disco Centre, in Kentish town, as I can recall this shop was run by Rocky Rivers, a friend of Mervyn Thomas from Rainbow. I can vaguely remember going to collect some gear from there, not a huge place. I also remember a place at the back of Covent Garden called Service Trading the used to sell kits to build bits and pieces. I still have, and use a strobe I built from one of their kits. Had some really good times trawling the shops in Tottenham Court Road and Edgware Road to find bits and pieces. Oh the good old days!
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 9:30pm
The Service Trading Strobe.Really was something special.....I worked with Paper Lace, at Allied Breweries club. Their road crew could not believe how mine, devastated their Optikinetics Super Strobe. Their strobe always started with guitar solos, when the lights dimmed and a tape recorder, by the mixing desk started.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

The Service Trading Strobe.Really was something special.....I worked with Paper Lace, at Allied Breweries club. Their road crew could not believe how mine, devastated their Optikinetics Super Strobe. Their strobe always started with guitar solos, when the lights dimmed and a tape recorder, by the mixing desk started.

Yes!!! i still have mine, and it still works too. they were bright, and i made a couple of changes so it would fire at up to 50Hz...which would make the standard double turn tube glow - so this was duly changed for a 5 turn airport beacon flash tube which continues to work 25 years on!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 10:27pm
Most of the time I used mine, it was under a table, behind a tablecloth.
I only brought it out at Burton, to show off.
I drew attention to the fact that there was a loud hum on their PA, to be told that it was 1,500 watts output.(DC300A + D150)
My reply? Mine's 1,000w, as I pointed to the 300A, but you can't hear mine humming.
But it was the strobe that gained the respect.
mightystevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightystevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 10:45pm
I have really enjoyed seeing pictures of all this retro equipment - makes me smile as I remember selling them at Disco Supplies in the eighties. Nostalgic to see BSR & Garrard turntables, Stanton 500al cartridges still in use - an appreciating asset as many are going for more second hand than they cost new.

I still do the odd gig although it feels like a lot of fun has gone out of the business.

For all the anoraks I still use old school citronic designed and made in Melksham gear, and know a man who can fix old school stuff if required.

So dear all keep it going and to coin an corny Robbie Vincent phrase (which I gave him) 'IF IT MOVES - FUNK IT!'

Mighty Stevo

Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 12:26am

Service Trading did two strobes in kit form back in the early 1970's, one was a Four Joule (and very bright at that conservative rating), and the other was a Sixteen Joule - an absolute killer!  I had the Sixteen Joule version myself, and sold it on because it was FAR too bright for any of the small to mid-sized venues I was doing then.

I have a suspicion it was that same 16 Joule that John (Funky Parrot) is referring to.  The last time I saw it in action was at the '77 Club' in Nuneaton, and being on the receiving end of it was a very unpleasant experience indeed!! 

John, have a look at the top of the case.  I put a chrome handle on it and miss-drilled one of the holes for it resulting in a double hole in the case for one side of the handle.  I'd also put a red push button on/off switch on the back, along with a 1/4" jack for remote operation.

(Edit) PS.,  Wasn't the Optikinetics strobe 12 Joule ??  Still very powerful, but no match for the Service Trading kit!

Kevin (formally from Hinckley - the guy who had the 4xAltec 816 copies) 

Edited by Spuggy - 23 July 2014 at 12:33am
vcmazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcmazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 12:10pm

Their strobe always started with guitar solos, when the lights dimmed and a tape recorder, by the mixing desk started.
LOL
I intend to live forever. So far so good.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 11:23am
I thought I'd replied to Spuggy, a couple of days ago. I hope I didn't put it in the wrong forum!!
Yes, Kev no need to check it, I can't anyway, it's long gone. It's definitely the one you built and sold to me. Didn't I fire it at the wall, in the 77 club, to reduce the glare?

Edited by funkyparrot - 25 July 2014 at 11:27am
dino50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dino50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 7:53pm
Hi just wondered if there are any members of the forum who can repair/overhaull citronic equipment,or know of someone who can. I have a thames unit in need of some TLC.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Dave
mightystevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightystevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 9:24pm
Dave I'm based in Southminster Essex and can service or repair a Thames for you, have you any major problems with it or just want it checked over and serviced ?

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 43>