Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q12 12" Sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q12 12" Sub
    Posted: 08 July 2009 at 5:22pm
Nowadays I get much more pleasure taking small systems to venue's and watching reactions when the "toys" perform perfectly adequately for the job.

I have built this little jobby just to test the alignment that I will use in a twin version.

I have  been a bit aggressive with the tuning and have gone for a couple of db lift  at the bottom end instead of the flat response that I normally go for.

It is still -3db at 42 hz and -6 at 38 hz not bad for a 12" in a 40l box. efficiency is on the low side though and I should get a max'm output of about 119db continuous. I am hoping output for the twin model will be close to the theoretical 125db which should be ample for most pubs/small clubs.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 18 March 2012 at 12:49pm
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Unknown Enemy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unknown Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 7:48pm
Looking good there Tony.

I have still yet to house my 12" subs I bought from you. lol. I started to build a double cab. Made it 110 litres and got 124db max spl from sims.

Saw this tapped horn stuff, put the info in there and now Im getting 125db at 39hz just from the one driver at 99 litres I think it was. Has a bit of a dip between 40 and 100 hz but some eq could help that out i hope.

Have the stuff ready on HR but have no idea how to put this data in to a cab. I downloaded google skecth but have no idea where to start.

Anyway, just out of interest, why is the port on the back instead of the front? To keep the cab more compact in size???
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 7:53pm
That looks really good, how did u model the port being close to the driver? did you just add an estimated length to the port??
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

That looks really good, how did u model the port being close to the driver? did you just add an estimated length to the port??

No I use bassbox pro to get an approx length then build and measure the exact frequency. On this design I bring the port to within 40mm of the magnet assembly. This added air resistance actually drops the port frequency by a couple of hz. 
On this box the port frequency is 45hz.

Tony
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:09pm
Port is on the back mainly to allow me to check Magnet temps, also has the benefits of smaller baffle, less port noise and it has to help cooling.

Tony
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:26pm
Very nice build. What driver will you put in there?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Sheggy Sheggy wrote:

Very nice build. What driver will you put in there?

BMS 12N630

Also see  http://www.freespeakerplans.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=64&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=26&t=751

Tony
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 3:51pm
Lovely build there Tony. How much gas do you have to give it to get the 119dB?
Don't test the champignon sound
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Lovely build there Tony. How much gas do you have to give it to get the 119dB?

Its a 600w driver. I have tested it on one of Andy's xp5000's so getting about 1200w with the clip light flickering and the little bugger still seems quite happy, high-passed at 38hz.

No problems with Xmax due to the choice of port frequency & dia. etc.

Due to have some much more meatier tests soon when I check temp. rise. I mentioned dub to it and it went and hid in the corner  LOL

Tony
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 6:27pm
Looks very nice, Tony, as usual. What are your thoughts on the rubber surround? I'd be worried that it's too floppy.  Also, what's the UK price on those - I can't find it anywhere. My main problem with cabs that size is port noise. I'm very interested to see how you get on.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by stevie stevie wrote:

Looks very nice, Tony, as usual. What are your thoughts on the rubber surround? I'd be worried that it's too floppy.  Also, what's the UK price on those - I can't find it anywhere. My main problem with cabs that size is port noise. I'm very interested to see how you get on.

Stevie  The rubber surround is unlike what you are probably thinking and is actually quite stiff.

When I first saw one of these drivers I tried pushing the cone , as you do, and was amazed at how much resistance there was. Not at all like your typical Hi-Fi driver rubber roll surround.

There is no problem at all with port noise, when used with a mid-top my ears are ringing well before I can hear any chuffing.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 09 July 2009 at 7:14pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 5:07pm
Finished Jobby

Tony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>