Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x18" MEATGRINDER v2 (done!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 1:24pm
more info will be soon! Winkbut with less power per driver... Now I'm using C18-600LF.. I haven't 18NLW9600 yet...Unhappy
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 1:35pm
Amano, did you get my email about measuring the response?
Amano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by tommysb tommysb wrote:

Amano, did you get my email about measuring the response?

No, I didn't Confused

Maybe my mailer is filtering big letters... It would be great if you put your files in rapidshare or other server...
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 1:49pm
dats one crazy ass design
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 8:44pm

Originally posted by tommysb tommysb wrote:

Hi Amano,

Sorry, I've been a bit busy so not had a chance to email. I would like to help you measure the response of your cabinets, and can give you a procedure, which will give fairly good results.

What equipment are you using? If you are using a Behringer ECM8000, you will need a soundcard with a microphone preamp in it. The soundcard should be capable of both record and playback simultaneously. Or, you can use a seperate sound source, such as a CD, and play files from that, whilst recording to PC.

If you tell me what equipment, and samplerate you are using, I can generate appropriate test files. What you will need to do, is play these files back through the loudspeaker, and record the sound picked up by the ECM8000 to a wav. I can then process the wav, and give you a frequency response. What you will actually be recording, is a 'time smeared' impulse response, with different frequency weightings. The technique is decribed here:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cache/papers/cs/18829/http:zSzzSzwww.ramsete.comzSzaskzSz..zSzpubliczSzpaperszSz134-AES00.PDF/simultaneous-measurement-of-impulse.pdf

Before you record the sweep tone, you should do some calibration. I would use an 100Hz tone, (i can generate one if you need), at the SAME level as the sweep tone. Then, measure the voltage across the output terminals on the amplifier. (If the meatgrinder is 4ohm, then set the amplifier level so that the output of the amp is 2v RMS). Once this is done, using a sound meter, measure the SPL at 1m from the mouth of the loudspeaker. This will be your 2V/1M reference.

It may be better to measure '100w/10m' figures, as this will give better indication of how the loudspeaker performs under real worl conditions. In this case, just position the mic 10m away, and make the output voltage the correct level for 100w. (depending on loudspeaker nominal impedance). As long as the SPL, distance, frequency and input voltage are recorded during calibration, then other figures of merit can be derived from those measurements.

Once the calibration is done, don't change any volume settings, and playback the sweep tone, recording it as you go.

I hope that makes sense, let me know what samplerate you need, and what equipment you're using. I hope I havn't missed anything. Any questions, just ask.

Cheers,

Tom
Amano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 6:55am
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 8:49am
Goooood morning!

Doesn't that mk3 have shorter horn? At least it starts at "lower" point in the drawing. Also I think this model has a bit more of wasted space in it.

Amano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 9:10am
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Goooood morning!

Doesn't that mk3 have shorter horn? At least it starts at "lower" point in the drawing. Also I think this model has a bit more of wasted space in it.

Yep! It's shorter (~2.3m), but has bigger mouth and less throat chamber volume!
This "wasted" space can be added into rear chamber volume...

It's my upgrade of cooling system in MG218... It can be aluminum radiator in hatch..

And if you put Ap=500 and Lpt=1,8 you will see what it is a monster...........!!!! 108Db (1w/1m, 2volts) from 50Hz
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 10:34am
Could you get more extension or output out of it if you port the rear chamber?

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Amano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:52am
Now I'm working on MG412 based on 4xCiare 12.00 sw..
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Disco Stu Disco Stu wrote:

Could you get more extension or output out of it if you port the rear chamber?

Stu

Would that increase extension, at the loss of SPL?

At the least the V3 with a bit of restraining eq, could be used from 40-120hz.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 2:19pm
V3, Modelled with 2x V18-1000

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>