Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier meet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 74>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier meet
    Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:54pm
OK Guys
Looks like a good idea to get together and all have a look at what's on offer in the amp world.

We can meet at my warehouse in Ripley, Surrey (postcode GU23 6HS) where we can make noise.
I'll have lots of different types of speakers to try, but of course if anyone's got any they want to play with, bring 'em down. Only thing is, I don't really need anyone turning up with a load more subs as we will run out of space. There will be at least 8 Quake subs in stock here so that should suffice, and we'll be able to max out any amplifier that we bring.

I won't bother compiling a list of amps that we'll have to play with - it's a question of 'run what ya brung'!!

I would strees that this is going to be a friendly meet, with the no-so-hidden agenda on my part of getting to say hello to a few forumites.

I'd like people to bring their favourite CDs / iPods / Laptops to play!

I think the only test gear here will be ears, Smaart and a dB meter - it all gets a bit anal after that.

Ideally could all amps be the type that run to 2ohm - then we can AB test properly.

Date I'm thinking of is wednesday 2nd September. Is that OK with everyone?

I need people to reply to this thread with whether they can make it or not, and what their favourite type of biscuit is.

All the best chaps,

Mike

[edit : test gear!]

Edited by tallmike - 17 August 2009 at 3:01pm
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 5:59pm
What a great idea :) Sadly I have nowt to contribute and don't drive and it's in the middle of nowhere :(
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:15pm
The 2 ohm running will count out most XP 5000's as they only go to 4 ohm, I believe.

Could you not set-up 2 ohm and 4 ohm rigs for a greater variety of amps to test ? Just a thought, and also what cables are you using for 2ohm ( 2x 4mm or 2x 6mm ?)

Cheers
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:19pm
id love to come but i have nowt decent to contribute and im only 15 so no transport... :(

sounds fun though. wish it was tht easy to find a place to make some noise, without mass complaints...
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:23pm
Have put it in my diary, been meaning to pop up and see you for some time.  Might throw some other random interesting items in the van, in case anyone wants to look/listen.

I'm easy on tea/coffee/biscuits as long as there is some!
trebor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trebor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:26pm
Hi, I'm free on that date and can bring XP5000s if required. What are the approx start and finish times?
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:29pm
Start late morning - let's say 11am. Finish whenever we get bored? There is a pub up the road that also does decent food!

Mike
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:38pm

Just want to make it clear that you don't have to bring anything if you're coming - just a smile will do..

tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Safetyman Safetyman wrote:

The 2 ohm running will count out most XP 5000's as they only go to 4 ohm, I believe.

Could you not set-up 2 ohm and 4 ohm rigs for a greater variety of amps to test ? Just a thought, and also what cables are you using for 2ohm ( 2x 4mm or 2x 6mm ?)

Cheers
If anyone's got the 2 ohm XP5000s, that would make a fairer test.

6mm cable I guess (there's quite a choice here...)

Mike
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:43pm
would love to come but im on holiday. Unhappy and i cant drive as not old enough anyway. but would love to meet up with you guys in the future if something like this happens again. Smile
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:45pm

I'm sure it will - the main objective is to actually organise one that gets off the ground..!!!

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:57pm
I'm afraid the only amp I have which is big enough to be slightly interesting is a Crest 8001 but if I ask my mates nicely I could get Camco's and Lab Gruppens if you don't have any already.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 74>