Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green laser
    Posted: 05 November 2009 at 2:47pm
im looking to buy a green laser but am usure if its worthwhile without a massive budget.
is there anything for around the 200 pound mark second hand that will a). hold its value b). not look sh*t
i know theres loads on ebay but unkike audio or normal lights have no idea what to look for.

we do  events with around 100-300+ in front of our system but always in very large warehouses
proaudioparts View Drop Down

...is a troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proaudioparts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 4:02pm
ebay have a load of lasers for sale and you can pick up big club lasers for like £150 if you look hard
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 4:46pm
Quote is there anything for around the 200 pound mark second hand that will a). hold its value b). not look sh*t

No

You will not fulfil both of those criteria with £200. In fact lasers are a money sink generally.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:04pm
Try and find a old laser called "Stealth Laser" we used to have 2 in the Opera House and the rocked! Seen them going for silly money, How ever its not a plug and play user. A cheap controller like the Stealth old but built to last is a PM90
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:08pm
I'm in the process of building a laser at the moment, a green 532nm and I really wouldn't consider spending anything less than £1000 minimum if you are building yourself.

Anything less than that will not be practical enough to ensure you earn anything back from it unless you have a lot of pre-arranged gigs lined up for a smaller setup.

Once you've got your laser built aswell, controlling it professionally is not cheap either and if you can't invest deeply to start with you end up taking a slow and winding path to the expensive route spending more than you expected on route! Its an expensive hobby!

http://www.photonlexicon.com is a great place to start checking things, also check http://www.pangolin.com for control software and ILDA hardware.

The cheap DMX stuff i've come across was really crap and just didn't perform well, and the Laserworld products which i've borrowed & rented have been major let downs.

//t0m
http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 10:38am
hi not looking to build just something cheap to plug in and play or dmx.
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 10:48am
If you are using the laser in a large warehouse for crowds 200-300 then you will need at least a 500mw (true power) laser to cover the distance and a good hazer machine to go with it if you want to get a nice effect.

I was using a Laserworld CS-400G for some warehouse parties I do, main dancefloor is 500 people and from front of laser to back wall is 35m. Using a Martin Magnum 2000 smoke machine I was constantly trying to pump smoke out to keep the beams in view. Next party we put a 1watt green in there, and you could see the beam with very little to no smoke!!

£200 won't buy you anything worth using for a party of that size in my opinion.

//t0m

http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
B.P.Sound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.P.Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 10:52am
I use lasers quite a lot from £200 - £1500 you will need to spend a min of £500 each to get a pro look. I think it is mainly down to the stepper motors. I don't really notice any real difference between 80mw and 200mw would sugest you go for 300mw for about £500. Go down to your local hire shop and try some out for yourself. The ones I hire are £50 each /night 300mw. good luck with whatever you deceide
http://www.londoneventrentals.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/LondonEventRentals
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 6:55am
Suggest buying a cheap Chauvet Scorpion style laser and replace the diode with something like a 100mW or more out of a "stargazer" pen pointer. Which can be had for like $30-40 US.

Which would be illegal here in the United States
but after the pics Ibex posted I assume you guys have more freedom ... figures ...
workidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 3:01pm
balls, ive got a 40mw green laser that shows up with smoke no problem with a crowd of a good 250 people. You can get the Kam dmx40 for £100.
no place like ohm.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 8:13pm
As someone who has a couple of cheapo "semi decent" chinese models costing about £300 each, I'd say save your money.
massacre_sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massacre_sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:53am
Has anyone used any made by this company ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-240mW-415nm-Twin-Blue-Violet-DMX-Able-UK-STOCK_W0QQitemZ380175200022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item5884352f16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>