Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maplin 150w mosfet module

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 5:20pm
Nice to see others' referring to the old Powertran stuff (factory was on the Portway Ind Estate in Andover), I built and used a pair of their 2u 115w amps and also built their 2u 5 channel lighting do dah - i still have that 25 yrs later!

I have a whole Powertran catalogue somewhere in my stash.
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 5:35pm
I had one of their 1U lighting controllers, in fact had a rack full of their stuff. I used to do a lot of work in Salisbury and used to drop in and collect the stuff.

Made one of their single board synths once, started at 6 in the morning and soldered in the last component at 4 am the following morning, worked fist time :)

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 11 January 2014 at 7:11pm
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 6:04pm
I worked a few years in Disco DJ retail  There used to be many such small Co's making plenty of stuff like this now they just sell on from China. Very little home-grown industry like that now. lots of the stores in Whitehorse Road Croyden Henrys RTVC all sold kits & surplus etc and unlike Maplin the sales team new their stuff
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

I worked a few years in Disco DJ retail  There used to be many such small Co's making plenty of stuff like this now they just sell on from China. Very little home-grown industry like that now. lots of the stores in Whitehorse Road Croyden Henrys RTVC all sold kits & surplus etc and unlike Maplin the sales team new their stuff

Yep, thems the good old days, back when building a kit and electrocuting yourself by being a prat was your own fault, not something you could blame on the bloke who sold you the parts!

Health n Saftey gone mad I say!, it provided natural selection!!

Edited by GregM - 15 January 2014 at 7:59am
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Made one of their single board synths once, started at 6 in the morning and soldered in the last component at 4 am the following morning, worked fist time :)

Tony

Transcendent 2000? Designed by the great Tim Orr. Oh those where the days! Not a bad synth from what I remember but never got my hands one. Powertran also came out with that digital delay with the those old fashioned bank of switches. I think that was a Tim Orr design as well but don't quote me on it. That was a great time to be an electronics hobbyist. I was a bit confused with this thread as even though the header states the Maplins 'legendary' 150W MOSFET module Nigel seems to be describing their 150W bipolar kit they had before Maplin came out with the MOSFET kit. Built a few of them and they where good work horses for the sound I was in at the time. Based more or less on the Hitachi original app sheet. Over than the zobel network resi being charred they never let me down once.
Facebook: Masai Judah
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:14pm
I cannot help but notice ..150W MOSFET   originally it was 75W but people realised increase voltage rails upgrade from the 2SK133 2SJ48 they started out with. Dave Goodman a Maplin Employee of the Early days did several projects including this one during their mail order beginnings at Rayleigh Essex

nigelwright7557 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nigelwright7557 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:20pm

Maplin did a few amplifier kits in those days.

50 watt hi fi amplifier.

75 watt mosfet amplifier

150WRMS disco bipolar amplifier (output transistors off pcb on heatsink)

They later did an update to the 150WRMS amplifier with output transistors on heatsink on pcb.

150 watt mosfet amplifier.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2014 at 10:16am
And not to forget the 1k mosfet kit. A friend of mine still uses an amp I built with those on his PA. Even amazes me that it´s still going strong!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
nigelwright7557 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nigelwright7557 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

Maplin  MOSFET Amp module  rail depends o
upon devices used 2 component value changes a usually required
as for the "best Osc in Town" the "Gate Stoppers" being to low in value on this design they are called that for a reason
I had the same problem with oscillation.
I increased the VAS capacitor and that fixed it.
Modern versions of the transistors seem to have more gain.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234