Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage mixers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 7:36pm
Stimated JBL_Man:

Very cool the "Saturday Night Fever" fotage, but these machine IS NOT A MIXER:
IS A DISCO LIGHT CONTROLLER L-4000 (LITE-LAB COMPANY).

If you dont believe me, Search in Google Books "Billboard 11 June 1977 page 71" (Look at the publicity, find the L-4000 AND COMPARES WITH YOUR UPLOADED PHOTO..IS THE SAME).

And if you search Billboard 12 May  1979 appear a announcement of Lite-Lab with "The Saturday Night Fever movie LOGO".

important: With The search of Billboard at Google Books , i discover that RANE PAPER LIE WHEN SAYS THAT THE FIRST DJ MIXER W CROSSFADE APPEARS IN 1977 (Citronic smp).. THE FIRST MAYBE WAS GLI 3800 OR METEOR CLUBMAN ONE-ONE (1973 OR 1974).
Peace!!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I think i must win "nerd of the year" for these two....a couple of screen caps from the 1977 film Saturday night fever.....it was filmed in the Odyssey 2001 club in NewYork...here is the mixer,anyone any ideas?

And here are the turntables..Goldring lenco GL75's?

I think you mean this clip.i was asking what it was.
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 5:25pm
A few more mixers from day's gone by

First a well used Harrsion SP2000 modular this was released a little after the PM80 and had loadsa bells & whistles including beat counter, compressor/limiter, some kind of bass/treble enhancement thingy and untold other stuff it was also stupid expensive

Gli 5991

Not quite so old a Numark MMX 1000 rotary

Edited by colint - 05 February 2012 at 5:25pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 6:09pm
Re. that Harrison mixer Colin,it might have been stupid expensive,but did it actually work? Every piece of Harrison gear i have had here has either died or gone haywire,i had one of their 4 -way analogue crossovers,hugely expensive,all singing and dancing thing,with plug in frequency boards,it would cut out,first one channel,then the other on a regular basis,and went bang completely one night,burning out its voltage regs inside.
The x900 amp died on one channel,and i had a pair of x300 that were never working on all channels at the same time.
Their gear might have been stupid expensive,but seemed to be stupidly unrealiable too.
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Re. that Harrison mixer Colin,it might have been stupid expensive,but did it actually work? Every piece of Harrison gear i have had here has either died or gone haywire,i had one of their 4 -way analogue crossovers,hugely expensive,all singing and dancing thing,with plug in frequency boards,it would cut out,first one channel,then the other on a regular basis,and went bang completely one night,burning out its voltage regs inside.
The x900 amp died on one channel,and i had a pair of x300 that were never working on all channels at the same time.
Their gear might have been stupid expensive,but seemed to be stupidly unrealiable too.

This is of course very true!
Mike Harrison had some very good and very advanced idea's but getting it from paper to product did produce a fair amount (lot) of flaws.

Most of the stuff we used was OK for what we were using it for (mainly foreground/background systems and pub/small club disco's, The main things we used were the SP2 mixer which was OK and the earlier power amps (X series) and to be fair we didn't have to many problems in fact most of them were in use 7 days per week and rarely switched off, however when the K series and the Dj mixers came out it all went a little pear shaped.

I had an SP7 first (I used to get the kit to play with foc for a couple of months at a time) it was OK but had some problems with the main output dropping out (like off).

The bigger mixer (think it was the SP12) was a total piece of shite it lasted 3 days , when the back panel was off we found the faders had been hot glued to the metalwork, everything else about it was rubbish, the bpm counter was very erratic, the channel eq was +- 16db which was just asking for problems and there were a host of other things like dry connections and loose stuff.
The K series amp's overheated like hell and seemed very underpowered.
So although Mike had great idea's maybe he should have spent a little more time on design,
I think the problem was it was all just to complicated.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
totallyouted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallyouted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 2:34am
madboffin...

do you still have your Sound Workshop 421 mixer? are you interested in selling it? i tried private messaging you but that doesn't seem to be an option on this forum...my e-mail address is oslo2012@gmail.com - thanks !

Edited by totallyouted - 09 March 2012 at 3:40am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 4:31pm
Here is a good one.....this is the DJ booth at the famous Studio 54 in New York,circa late 70's.

Mixer is a Bozak,but what are the turntables,Lenco or Thorens?

Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 5:56pm
Well I wouldn't mind betting a fiver on Thorens and they look more like TD125s than anything else but they sure don't have the Thorens TP60 arm that was so prevalent during the 70s.
VSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 6:08pm
JBL 4520 hangin from the ceiling ?
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 6:33pm
I suspect they are Thorens too but it's been a long time since I last saw one!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 2:59am
I just purchased a US-made Furman DJM-8 mixer. It is quite basic, but it sports the famous PUNCH bass subharmonic synthetizer that creates a full octave of subbass by extrapolating the lower octave. Let's say it is a simpler version of DBX's excellent 120a. It's quite efficient at making dull sounding records gain that full bottom end. That mixer is not "that" vintage as it was made in the last years of the 20th century. ;-)

Edited by Lee In Montreal - 02 April 2012 at 3:08am
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Lee In Montreal Lee In Montreal wrote:

I just purchased a US-made Furman DJM-8 mixer. It is quite basic, but it sports the famous PUNCH bass subharmonic synthetizer that creates a full octave of subbass by extrapolating the lower octave. Let's say it is a simpler version of DBX's excellent 120a. It's quite efficient at making dull sounding records gain that full bottom end. That mixer is not "that" vintage as it was made in the last years of the 20th century. ;-)

Not seen one of those before but it does seem to have a Rane look about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>