Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6th Order bandpass build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6th Order bandpass build
    Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:11pm
Hi to you all,

Thought it was bout time to post pics etc of a new cab me and a few have been playing with. The plan was to replace our 4 X  single loaded k-bin style subs with 2 X twin loaded subs.(Fane 18xb's). The idea was to try to create a cab that was more efficient and took up less space,(obviously). Been playing around with a few ideas and came up with these final 2 ideas.

After getting advice from forum members,went with this design:

So,with heaps of tech help from some of you guys,decided to build a mdf (cost issue) prototype last sunday. I think it turned out well. Really nice sound and a vast improvement over our exsisting subs:
[/IMG]

There were a couple of issues with our central chamber port lengths,(have to ask Doober what software he used to spot them on his sim/laptop stuff),but sorted it out by just removing small sections of the port at a time untill we got it right....(Not the pic below cos thats got no port in)

Did the same with the wadding,took sections out etc,actually didnt seem to make that much difference in the enviroment we were in.
  We did angle the baffles and front sections to reduce/increase the cab size to fit with and under our HD215. Still got some tweeking to do to get it just right,or,have a go at building new horns to sit above these subs,but I doubt i'll do that.(need to give the missus some 'quality' time!!Embarrassed

However,we did have a dip in dB's at about 38hZ. So far the suggestion is that its probably to do with the space we were in,not ideal. Any other ideas on this?? 
  For us now,the next stage is to brace the hell outta the cab,drag it outside and test it all again. Because it was just a prototype and we new we'd be taking it apart to adjust/trim/tweek/maybe throw in the bin,we never glued any joints and put in limited screws. And yesterday for our sins,we cranked it up and it blew itself open in certain areas! Kinda interesting where it did that,in places we least expected it!!

The most important thing to me is that it sounded really good,much tighter and clearer than our old subs,AND a great use of this forum and its resources!!!Smile

Cheers

fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:27pm
Looks fantastic,top job!

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:51pm
really does!
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:06am
looks great - love to see some plots in 'good' environment.

Well done that man Wink
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 2:28am
Why can't I spot access panels in rear chambers? Confused
deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 7:30am
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Why can't I spot access panels in rear chambers? Confused

This was just a prototype cab,so if the outdoor plots looks good and we build it,there will be access panels in the back. We made it so the top could come of easily,giving us quick access to change front and rear port sizes.

Base box pro and winisd both predicted similar rear chamber port lengths,but front port lengths were different by bout 50mm,(winisd saying it was 50mm longer than BBP),Turns out,on the impedance plots taken on the day,BBP was nearer to what the sims said it should be. There could easily be mistakes somewhere with my sims,(which is highly possible). The front port was a bit fiddly,took a bit of arsing about to sort out air velocity,but think we got there in the end.
   We really need to brace it,put heaps more screws in it,drag it outside and convince Doober to bring all his testing kit to our workshop (again!)and do it all again. Then we can put up some accurate plots for inspection and refining from you guys!!!

Cheers

(There are stables where we have our workshop,so there is a huge open air sand school that all the nice horsey girls use.....which is nice to watch..eerrrm....I mean,which is a good place to test our cabsWink)
mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 8:44am
hello
we are currently looking for some dedecated sub bins to run under 8x es18bphs 
i was wondering what frequency range were you designing the cab for

thanks

nick
deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 9:13am
 Hi,
  Hopefully, they will run from 30hz to 65-70hz. But,no sure just yet how/or what range there gonna run in the real world. But they were simmed from 30hz 65 hz...
Cheers
mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 10:46am
cool, thats about the range we are looking for
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 11:12am
It looks....BIG!!!
What are the dimensions?
And is the air velocity not to high in the front ports?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 11:23am
As nice and neat it looks I am also wondering the size, mainly the height. Is it going to fit through doors? To me it looks like something well over 70cm high.
deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:54pm
Yeah,your right...it is big! Kinda concerned me too. The dimensions from memory are, H -710mm,W -1220mm,D -800mm(roughly)  Oddly enough,yesterday we were  looking into adjusting the chamber dimensions to bring the hieght down,which will prob result in it having more depth,but hey,you gotta start somewhere!
   Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>