Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6th Order bandpass build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:57pm
and maybe move the side ports away from the side or the cab. The wadding is virtualy touching them. Dont know exactly how much difference it would make,just seems a sensible thing to do.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 9:02pm
Having heard this cab I can say it does sound great. It sounds very smooth and goes hideously low, we managed to find those low notes on Avril Lavignes 'sk8r boi' (I had previously thought that was a wind up- apologies to whoever suggested that tune!). It moves some serious amounts of air.

I won't bother posting the plots we did as they were not in a suitable environment and could be well out. The interesting thing about the plots is the very steep notch at around 38hz, this is hopefully a function of the building we were in. We definitely need to try some more plots outside. The waterfall plot revealed some odd behaviour around this area.

The other measurements were impedance plots with LIMP to check the tuning frequencies were as planned. The lower ports were a couple of hz lower than predicted, no big issue really, could be due to the ends being close to the sides of the box. The front chamber was tuned way too low with the longer port, and ended up needing to be around a quarter of the predicted length- again the interaction with the top and bottom panels probably caused this.

I had originally thought the dip at 38hz could be due to the front chamber being tuned too low. It would seem logical to me that if the tunings are too close there will be a cancellation at a point halfway between them as surely the two sets of ports radiate sound of opposite phase? I could be quite wrong here.

Get it stuck back together and we'll have a go with it outside.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
axeman91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:07pm
Looks mean!  How would it compare to an X1?
deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:40pm
Hmmmm...Lets not go there with that question! At the mo,its still work in progress. The thought of comparing it with anything is still a ways off. I am still new to this game so the chances of it all going to plan on this first attempt is a total long shot. But,more importantly,I'm learning heaps(slowly), and I'm totally enjoying myself.......and thats what its about for me just nowSmile
Cheers
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 1:17am
Originally posted by axeman91 axeman91 wrote:

Looks mean!  How would it compare to an X1?

http://forum.speakerplans.com/x1-versus-b2_topic26788.html
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 6:13pm
Very nice mate, looks wicked
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by deepss deepss wrote:

a great use of this forum and its resources!!!Smile

amen to that, that's what this is all about...

james.
mardy hippy.
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 11:02pm
Cabinet looks sick.  Wish I could hear em.
deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 12:16am
Just waiting for a break in the weather and then get it outside. See what it really does. We were going to have an attempt today,but the rain was blowing sideways.....again! So instead,spent the day in the workshop,blitzing it in the hope that this cabs got legs and I get to build a couple before Christmas.  (Even managed to get festool gear sent off for servicing and new blades).....What ever happens,I'm gonna have to build something.......probably an ark.,(with ports of course)Smile
Gonzo-4-bidden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonzo-4-bidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 8:37pm

great work, have you considered changing the mouth of the cab to an open mouth type horn instead of (the dual letterbox type design?) excuse my retarded terminology but im on a learning tip myself, noticed this http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/51159/0/on psw  which is very similar, just wondering if the different horn mouth design could cure your low frequency dips around 37hz? please correct me if im well off as any education in this would be greatly appreciated! great work!

deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 8:31pm
Yep,we looked at that but not yet that advanced to work that out just yet. Still waiting for a decent test though. In the meantime,I've decided to build a couple of X1's. I figured it would be good to have a couple. Have materials,kit,empty(and now tidy)workshop,and time.Need to build something so keeping in flavour with things sub,why not,be good experience!
   BTW,just spent past 15mins reading that link you sent. I'm not familiar with the prosoundweb forum. They get pretty heated over there!Tongue
deepss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 9:09pm
So..... At last,got the chance to get it outside and test again!
  The pic is really surreal,in fact it was really surreal doing that. Got some strange looks from the horsey folk..

Sorting out the plots now. Will post soon. (havin probs with photobucket Angry)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>